CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Patellofemoral syndrome

What has your PT been doing?

Quote:
I am going back to the PT for a program, because the streching, passive stretching etc has not been working on my own.
That's a big problem...

Especially because as you start to improve most PT will want you to go to a home exercise program (HEP) in which you are rehabbing yourself

And only stretching is not what I said above. In fact, stretching is farther down on the list of things you must do...
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
That's a big problem.....
going back to the PT today. I was originally stretching, calf, quad, hips. I exercised it my walking and very slow air squats. this has not worked
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah... just stretching may help for some people. Most people it won't.

Hence, why I don't recommend just stretching and proper technique.

Quote:
Now to summarize what you were supposed to have learned from my article you need to for patellofemoral:

1. Strengthen your glutes and hamstrings and VM/VMO

2. Stretch and SELF MASSASGE to get rid of any tender points in the quads, IT band, TFL, hamstrings, glutes, calves

3. take your fish oil. If you're having constant pain take the Robb Wolf recommended .5g/10 lbs body mass EPA+DHA (and make sure you get some vitamin K too to prevent the anti-coagulent effects).

4. Use ice if it helps.

5. Technique tends to be the issue in all patellofemoral and IT band patients I've seen including weak glutes. So that's where you want to focus.

Proper squat/DL technique driving weight through the heels (not the toes) so they don't track over them so far + spreading the knees so they don't cave in during the eccentric or concentric portions of the lift especially in squatting movements.
Summary of what you need to do from section 3 & 4:

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Chris Puckett

Profile:

based on the advice I have received from several sources, I am completely resting(nothing.. absolutely nothing...), and I iced to get the swelling completely down. from now I am going to continue to rest the knee to not cause any swelling. I am avoiding walking or really anything until my knee feels solid, even to shy away from the light strength work and absolutely no stretching. My knee feels like I should be stretching the __ out of it, but that has caused just major flare ups with swelling and decreased range of motion. Staying completely off my knee seems to be working, but we will see. I have read a few other articles that describe the 'completely off' approach for this condition, defying the traditional manual PT approach.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
This depends on what actually is the problem. Pain in the front can mean a lot of different things.

5. Technique tends to be the issue in all patellofemoral and IT band patients I've seen including weak glutes. So that's where you want to focus.

Proper squat/DL technique driving weight through the heels (not the toes) so they don't track over them so far + spreading the knees so they don't cave in during the eccentric or concentric portions of the lift especially in squatting movements.

HOpe that helps.
this is absolutely what caused it for me. I was doing max reps of push presses, at 135lbs.

The workout that did if for me was;

50 double unders
max push press reps 135#
40 double unders
max push press reps 135#
30 double unders
max push press reps 135#
20 double unders
max push press reps 135#
10 double unders
max push press reps 135#

This was on Dec 23, and this is the last workout I have done. I was off for a few weeks before this, and now that i think of it, I was on my toes the whole time. I tend to be forward.

Listen to the form critics!! thats all I can say folks, drop the weight and use proper form
Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
based on the advice I have received from several sources, I am completely resting(nothing.. absolutely nothing...), and I iced to get the swelling completely down. from now I am going to continue to rest the knee to not cause any swelling. I am avoiding walking or really anything until my knee feels solid, even to shy away from the light strength work and absolutely no stretching. My knee feels like I should be stretching the __ out of it, but that has caused just major flare ups with swelling and decreased range of motion. Staying completely off my knee seems to be working, but we will see. I have read a few other articles that describe the 'completely off' approach for this condition, defying the traditional manual PT approach.
Well good luck with that....

Massage and fish oil are 2 important critical parts to eliminate pain and excessive inflammation.

If you're just gonna sit on your butt at least take the fish oil.

And there are no "workouts" that do it... more like a workout that broke the camels back but it's been an accumulation of likely poor technique and accumulative damage from that.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #17
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Well good luck with that....

Massage and fish oil are 2 important critical parts to eliminate pain and excessive inflammation.

If you're just gonna sit on your butt at least take the fish oil.
Taking fish oil, not too concerned about massage yet, excessive deep tissue or ART may be too much right now. Eating way less sugar(paleo) since the injury My knee is feeling stable over the past two days, going to give it a few more days before light massage, and ultimately light strengthening/exercise. no stretching for now either, do not want to cause inflammation
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
Antonio Roca

Profile:

I'm suffering from this also and it's quite annoying. I understand that I should be working on strengthening my hammies and glutes, but how should I go about doing this? Squats and deadlifts make for an abnormally loud crack in my left knee. Doing these with a wider stance prevents this but leaves my left knee with a bit of a pain afterwards.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #19
Mindy Griffin

Profile:

I've just started to experience symptoms very similar to what is being described here. I took 3 weeks off CF due to my job and about 2 weeks after I stopped the WOD's I had severe pain in my knee. I was driving and had my leg bent for a long period of time and when I went to extend it I felt a severe burning pain in the patellar region. Nothing for a few days then it did it again one night when I had been sleeping with my leg bent. I changed positions and immediately was wide awake with the same burning pain.

Now that I am back in the gym I have been experiencing painful popping pretty much every time I extend my knee. Most of the discomfort seems to be just above the patella. I tried some light OHS in my warm up the other day and almost didn't make it back up.

Sounds like I should be upping my fish oil, rolling, massaging, and possibly icing/stretching. Should I also look into seeing a PT?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #20
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
Rest could be good since there are theories about overuse/overload of the knee which results in patellofemoral pain. Though I'm not a big fan of it. Immobilisation can cause problems way beyond patellofemoral pain. Try to do some exercise which doesnt impact the knee like the eliptical and upper body strength. Along with that you could stretch and balance out some exercises to benefid the healing process ie strengthning the quads especially vastus medialis.