CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:
Muscle-ups and ground clearance

I was so close to my first one tonight! I was just a smidge off from making the transition.

Has anybody had experience doing this on lower rings and higher rings? I've only been able to put my rings on about an eight foot pullup bar, so my starting position is inevitably on my knees. I can hang without them touching the ground, but it takes a little bit of effort. Is it easier to start from a position where your legs can dangle freely? My initial response is yes because you can probably get a more effective kip, but I haven't really had the option of trying with my rings this high yet.

If it is, I'm certainly going to have to find something--anything!--that is higher than these pullup bars by the end of the week, as I think I am ready for my first one.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Rafe Kelley

Profile:
Re: Muscle-ups and ground clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hendrix View Post
I was so close to my first one tonight! I was just a smidge off from making the transition.

Has anybody had experience doing this on lower rings and higher rings? I've only been able to put my rings on about an eight foot pullup bar, so my starting position is inevitably on my knees. I can hang without them touching the ground, but it takes a little bit of effort. Is it easier to start from a position where your legs can dangle freely? My initial response is yes because you can probably get a more effective kip, but I haven't really had the option of trying with my rings this high yet.

If it is, I'm certainly going to have to find something--anything!--that is higher than these pullup bars by the end of the week, as I think I am ready for my first one.
You are correct. If you can hang without touching the ground it helps, the rings need to be able to hang a certain degree down as well or you end up having to push against the straps at certain point on the way up which makes it more difficult.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Measure your rings so you start from a hanging L. In fact, this is easier than from sitting on one's heels because it counterbalances your body as you MU. Well, slightly easier but good enough to count. My bar is only 7 feet or so.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Do a search for L-kip.

I would say that it helps, but it is certainly possible to tuck your legs up in order to do the muscle-up. The L-kip I was talking about makes use of the drop of your legs to make it easier.

And... I win, because my pull-up bar is at about 6'.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I set my rings so I hover right above the ground from a hang L. This way the straps are as long as possible. Still, I notice a difference when I hang the straps longer somewhere are on rings with longer straps ( stability wise ).

Doing a MU where your body is in full hang is harder. I had fun playing on CF Oakland rings where I could completely hang. I did cheat to make the MU by piking at the hips ( I forget to do this usually as I didn't learn it this way ).

If you CF ring kip, you're obviously going to get a better kip from a long hang versus the L kip motion of your legs moving to L and swinging back.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
David Croushore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
And... I win, because my pull-up bar is at about 6'.
I would hit my chin on your pullup bar...