CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #471
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
If you are not doing them already, you might want to throw some rows in there too.

I feel for you, my body seems to take more time to recover from the bench than squats. Twice a week is plenty for me on the bench.
Thanks for the tip Mike, but I think the solution wouldn't be additional work on top of already doing 2 smolov's simultaneously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
I started to feel some strange pain in my bicep/elbow on the bench. We had a guy blow out his bicep doing bench @ work this past year. Freaked me out a bit.

I went back to GSLP protocol for BP...2x week/2x5/1x5+
Thanks, I'm going to try to be careful with this, definitely not worth blowing out my bicep. I've only got 2 more workouts and then I'm taking 5 days off before maxing, hopefully that will be enough time to recover.

Not going to bench at all when I do the press Smolov Jr. Doesn't sound like anyone's attempted it, so I'll make myself the guinneapig and report back.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #472
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Smolov Intense - Week 1 Day 3.

1x4 @ 275
1x4 @ 300
5x4 @ 340

Nice easy day, but shoulder tendonitis is starting to act up.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #473
Travis Rask

Profile:

Possibly tore my hamstring during week 2/day 2 work sets this evening.

I was on the second set of my 3x3 @ 345. Weight felt fine, center of left hamstring popped as I was coming out of the hole.

Funny thing is in-between sets I was patting myself on the back for pushing through some growing shoulder and elbow tendonitis, only to get injured.

Luckily I was at work when it happened...so it will be covered under worker's insurance.

MRI this week...possibility of a small tear; highly likely I'll have to take a week off from squatting and end Smolov prematurely.

I'll probably just roll right into GSLP and box squats with work sets starting out @ 315 when I get back to it. I'd finish out Smolov, but I have some pretty intense firefighting classes coming up in March, April and November and can't really afford to postpone switching into a strength and conditioning program and cleaning up my diet/leaning out.

Smolov has been great though. I highly suggest it. It got me back to where I wanted easily (315 3x5 work sets) and I will definitely try it again, likely at the end of next year. Once all my major fire courses are done, I think I'm going to move into a powerlifting program for a long term period (1-3 years). It's a lot of fun.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #474
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Smolov Jr. Bench Week 3 Day 3:

8x4 @ 222.5

Left shoulder bothering me again. 1 workout left supposed to be tomorrow, and then I'll be done with benching for awhile, looking forward to it.

I'm going to take an extra rest day, and even then I may cut it short. I don't know if I'll be able to hit 10x3 at 235 (let alone without risking injury). May cut it short and do maybe 5 sets instead of 10.

I don't think I'm ever going to do Smolov Jr. for bench again. Way too stressful on my shoulders even with what I like to think is impeccable form. I'd definitely consider doing regular Smolov for Squats again though down the road some time.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #475
Travis Rask

Profile:

Mike, have you considered giving Greyskull LP a shot (when done with Smolov/Jr.)?

I can send some information on it, if you're interested.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #476
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
Mike, have you considered giving Greyskull LP a shot (when done with Smolov/Jr.)?

I can send some information on it, if you're interested.
Sure why not. You can email me mikeenamarre@gmail.com.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #477
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Smolov Intense - Week 2 Day 1. (Took an extra rest day before this one)

1x4 @ 255
1x4 @ 300
1x4 @ 340
1x3 @ 385
2x4 @ 385

This was WAY easier than I thought. I was stressing literally the 2 days before, and the day of this workout. I thought 385 for 3-4-4 was going to crush me, but it was surprisingly easy. I just made sure to cue myself to keep my back up no matter what, and that seems to have helped, because I think thats why 385x3 2 workouts ago was so hard. Video below. I think rep 3 looked questionable on my first 4 rep set, but I paused the video at the bottom I get to parallel, just don't fall below it.

http://youtu.be/cmRb_bKZeus (WFS)

Resting a bit, then doing my last bench jr. workout. 10x3 at 235.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 12-12-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #478
Derek Strachan

Profile:

Finished base tonight. 10x3 at 290. I thought this was much easier than the 7x5. Excited to go for a max finally.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #479
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Smolov Jr. Bench Week 3 Day 4 (Final Day)

10x3 @ 235

Just finished. It was pretty tough, but I got through it with some longer resting periods towards the end. (12-14 minutes). The extra rest day, and the day off from work today I think helped immensely for both squat and bench.

Going to go for a max on Sunday for bench, and continue intense by itself until I max on bench, then I'm going to start Jr. for press along side intense.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #480
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Interesting read guys. I ran smolov base about a year ago and have run numerous smolov jrs for bench so ill chime in with my thoughts.

Smolov base for squat: insanely hard but doable based on a true max, i netted about 25lbs. Joints felt fine through the cycle but i was mentally and physically trashed. It did open my eyes to how much more volume the body can handle and make progress. Unfortunately i didnt keep any of my gains once my volume dropped on squats and my max dropped to pre smolov levels quickly. This occured while still squatting at high intensity multiple times a week, just with less volume. Maybe you need to run the whole intense cycle to really cement in the gains you earned in the base cycle, but i wanted to get back to oly lifting.

Smolov jr for bench: best bench program, period. I have run this program multiple times always with great success. I tend to keep the gains and feel fine the entire cycle. Shoulder issues can occur, and i often need to take extra rest days in the third week. But systemic fatigue is very low. I have run these cycles back to back before and netted close to 50lbs on my bench, which i have kept.
22/6'1"/M/208lbs. log wfs BS 375lb / FS 295lb / DL 405lb / OHP 190lb / Push Press 225lb / C+J 225lbs / Snatch 175lbs / Bench 275lbs / 500m Row 1:21