CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
Marc Kriss

Profile:
I am looking to get a new pair of shoes for training. I do most of the WODs, but also have recently been focusing on learning the O-lifts so I deviate from the WODs. Also, I do sport-specific training, to include plyo and agility/quickness drills.

All that being said, I have been looking at the Nike Free; they are now at 7.0, but they also have the 5.0, the 5.0 v2, and a more Xtraining version (with a front strap near toes for stability). I am looking at this shoe because it intends to build the stabalizing muscles in the feet, ankles, and legs. it is light, and not bulky or over-padded. here is the schpeele on it (i cut out some of the non-related content):

"""The Nike Free 5.0 v2 helps to reduce injuries by strengthening the feet and lower legs. One-piece, anatomical ecsaine upper gives great fit, while engineered vents enhance the breathability. Vents placed strategically to stretch where you need them, but also provide support where you need it most. Super light, flexible upper works in a 1:1 relationship with the midsole to keep you confidently in the shoe. Reinforcements on the medial side provide extra support. Phylite™ midsole is cut into an engineered pattern of flex grooves both laterally and longitudinally throughout the midsole to provide flexibility — it allows your foot to be in control throughout footstrike. BRS 1000™ rubber inserts added to the Phylite™ in the heel to contribute to durability. Wt. 8.6 oz."""

1.) anyone like/dislike this shoe?

2.) can a case be made for choosing one style over the other?

3.) if not Nike Free, anything else I should consider?

thanks all-
Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Bobby Matthews

Profile:  
I have three pairs of the Nike Free 4.0 and love them. I do all my workouts in them. My only complaint is the in sole tends to slip a little if I am doing broad jumps...
Old 08-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
David Bennett

Profile:
I like my Nike Frees. I have no ideas any about differences between the styles. I have seen people in the gym doing O-lifts in all kinds of shoes.

I bought a pair of Nike Free's (5.0 I think) about 2 months ago and have used them for all my WOD's, including the O-lifts, without problem. I don't go strictly by the WOD on the main website, so I haven't done all the posted WOD's since then and I have wondered how my feet would fare on the 10k in the Nike Frees. However, my next pair of shoes will probably be a Nike Free as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Marc Kriss

Profile:
thanks guys - i did a little more research and found they make Frees for running but also more for cross training. I typically run on trails in the woods, so I have light trail/running shoes for that.

my main interest in the Frees is for the stability in O-lifts, and also for plyo/jumping drills and other agility drills. I just want to make sure they are stable enough...no slippage. Bobby mentions a little sole slippage when doing jumps. I wonder if the Xtrainer version with the strap helps with that? But i like how they are light, not bulky in the heel, and help develop feet/leg strength.

(Message edited by masterlock on August 16, 2006)
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Danny Nowell

Profile:
Love my Nikes.

I first bought the Nike 5.0 crosstrainers (shoes w/ the strap), fell in love with them and later went out and got a pair of the 5.0 running shoes as an everyday shoe.

It is the most comfortable shoe I've worn up to this point. I tried them on at a mall after having walked for hours in a pair of New Balances. The difference was night/day. It felt like I was walking on clouds, and the breathability of the 5.0 is awesome, my feet were tingling. I use to get acute pain in my right knee while walking in various other shoes, but have yet to experience any discomfort in the Nikes.

I try to workout barefooted whenever possible, but I've had no problems with the Nike Free while playing tennis, running, and doing a wide assortment of gpp drills/exercises.

I'm still searching for a store that carries the Puma Speed Cats so I can give them a try as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Marc,

I personally have 3 pairs of shoes...not on purpose but it just panned out that way.

Asics gt2110 - I use these for running 1 mile+ I've very flat footed so I have all kinds of feet issues

Nike trainers - I use these for most workouts that don't require lifting as the main focus and running in 400-800m. I haven't had a large problem with stability but the most i've ever done with these is box jumps and burpees, no plyos/jumping drills. I haven't worn the other kind w/out a strap so I can't give you a comparison.

Asics wrestling shoes - I use these for O-lifting and other lifts and don't really run in these unless it's >400m

Old 08-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
I too do almost all my workouts bare feet except long runs. My only injury to date has been when I stepped on a pesky scorpion. But he won't be stinging me again, that is for sure.

I think it makes my feet stronger...and you never know when you may find yourself without shoes. Think: "Die Hard" :-)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #8
John Vernon

Profile:
Most indoor soccer shoes work quite well. I had a pair of adidas samba's for a VERY long time and they were a great all-around CrossFit shoe, lost them during one of my moves in college. I would estimate they are about half the cost of Nike Free's to. Extremely stable to. I recall seeing Marius Pudzianowski wearing a pair of Diadora indoor shoes during one of his WSM victories.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i love chuck taylors...zero cushioning or support. almost as a good as the free.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #10

Profile:

Chuck Ts are righteous, but the square edged sole gets dicey sometimes. Wrestling shoes are the ticket.