CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Danijel Gonzo

Profile:
deadlift form check

hi people, i would appreciate some feedback on my deadlift form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLbP0NP7eA

i choose this angle to get some perspective how is my 'pulling line' and the way i get weights up and back on the floor. im pretty much aware of my shins/knees so i have less concerns about that.

watch our for sound (its loud).

thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: deadlift form check

I'm a big fan of stable shoes for deadlifting. Looked like you had a typical runners/crosstraining shoe. I like flat shoes like Adidas Sambas or Chuck Taylors. Other guys are fans of olympic weightlifting shoes. Or you can always deadlift barefoot. I think this will provide more stability.

Also, any chance you have access to regular sized plates, because you are using smaller sized plates, you have increased your range of motion--which is good for variety, but will limit the weights you can use, and sometimes an increased range of motion on the deadlift will forc you into more of a stiff legged deadlift as opposed to a conventinal deadlift. This will force more of the work on the lower back and hams (good for them) but takes some away from the quads.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Danijel Gonzo

Profile:

thanks for sharing information buddy.

I usually do lifts barefoot but it was -15 outside/no heating since it is do-it-yourself gym we have to manage with what we can afford (e.g. without olympic/bumper plates, they are quite expensive here)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Way to deal with conditions and make it happen.
So many people would wuss out and say well I don't have the equipment, its cold, forget it.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danijel Gonzo View Post
hi people, i would appreciate some feedback on my deadlift form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLbP0NP7eA

i choose this angle to get some perspective how is my 'pulling line' and the way i get weights up and back on the floor. im pretty much aware of my shins/knees so i have less concerns about that.

watch our for sound (its loud).

thanks!
Overall, it looks like a solid lift(s). My only critique would be to possibly drop your butt (get more depth) at the beginning of the lift. This would provide more strength for legs during the motion and save your back some.

Michael
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Patrick O'Brien

Profile:

The back and especially the lower back seems pretty rounded to me, if I'm honest.

How long have you been doing this?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Nezir Teke

Profile:

Ditto on the rounded back and your butt should be lower. You seem to be 'tracing' your knees/legs with the bar. Also you're looking up/straight. It would be safer to keep your neck inline with you spine and look on the ground a couple feet ahead.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Kevin Carey

Profile:

One thing I noticed that I corrected recently in myself, was after you load up the chain, your hips move up before the bar does. This is something Louie talks about a lot in the squat and deadlift. I know Rip advocates the little "butt kip" or whatever you want to call it at the bottom of the squat to get your hams/glutes into a more advantageous position- but why not just start/remain in goo position and avoid extra under tension?

What I did to fix it is (my whole deadlift routine)-
- Arms straight out in front of me and take a big breath (you can take a bigger breath with your arms up/legs straight)
- Bend down and grip the bar, then push down on it with straight arms to set my shoulders back and lock in my whole back from my waist up
- Take the slack out by slowly starting the lift
- Then when I feel the weight on the bar, I drive my feet into ground as though I'm trying to push them through the floor- it has to be explosive

No gripping the bar and bouncing and rounding (that's going to promote the butt kip), get your breath, then lean over and pick it up. Watch some westside videos to see how methodical they are.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
Danijel Gonzo

Profile:

This is some great advice people. Thank you all.

To answer question, I recently started to lift more serious weights and get into crossfit routines (did mma couple of years) so I appreciate any feedback (and support on my, hopefully, soon ending war against winter haha).

Kevin, I`ll try to incorporate same routine, pushing the bar to get shoulders and back locked properly sounds like a great tip (among others in this thread). When you find time feel free to link those westside videos, I cant seem to find them.