CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-24-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Chris Olson

Profile:
Back (lower)went out 9 months ago - big drama; ambulance ride and all. Back got better after a few months. PTx advised that and deadlifts are very bad. PTx explained that injury mechanism was arching back under load. Nevertheless, did WOD that involved deadlifts with very light weight (135) and tried hard to focus on good form. Next day, back was very "pingy" - threatening spasms but none materialized. Day after that, back was o.k. and continued with WODs, which didn't involve deadlifts or OLY weightlifting with no problems. Point of all of this is that I really want to fully participate in CF: I firmly believe that deadlifts and "power moves" are important. At the same time, I can't do any CF if my back is out. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Kevin Mullins

Profile:  
Either start light and gradually work your way back up to "heavy" lifts or alternatively invest in a trap bar and use that instead of regular deadlifts and squats. There are plenty of good articles on the net re: trap bars. Some people with long legs and short torsos find the trap bar deadlift to be more comfortable and allows them to attempt max lifts without the pain.

Hope this helps
Old 01-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Chris,
"(PTx explained that injury mechanism was arching back under load)". Most of the time problems from heavy deadlifting are from back bowing into "flexed" position. Most of the arching injuries I have been made aware of are from push pressing overhead pressing. Is this the case?

The biggest advice I can give is do your best to

1-Maintain a neutral back position, somewhere between flexion and extension.

2-Strengthen your midsection

3-Gradual progression

4-In my experience people with back injuries who avoid "rebuilding the area" NEVER RECOVER

(Message edited by vcraig on January 24, 2006)
Old 01-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Chris Olson

Profile:
Fellas: Thanks very much for the response.

Kevin: I'll try going even lighter and graduating from there. Then I see about a trap bar.

Craig: ("Most of the time problems from heavy deadlifting are from back bowing into "flexed" position. Most of the arching injuries I have been made aware of are from push pressing overhead pressing. Is this the case?") Short answer: Yes. Had a tendency to over-arch (i.e., stick butt way out) while squatting pretty heavy. This and some other bad habits PT belived cause back to go out. To be clear, I personally don't think deadlifts caused the problem. I had done some during the week before my back went out but I was sitting with poor posture in my chair at work when it went out. But it does seem that there is some arching under load at the start and finish of the deadlift (see frame 1 and 7 on the crossfit.com deadlift slideshow). In any event, it sounds like you are suggesting something more nuetral than the slideshow, which I'll certainly try.

Thanks again for your thoughts.