CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Sara Taylor

Profile:
I haven't jumped on the wagon yet....but I'm running along beside it!!

A brief history:I started working out about 13 years ago after graduating from RN school. I mostly did cardio and some lifting. I gradually moved over to the weight side of the gym and started to break up my work outs in 2-3 body parts. In the last year or 2 I have begun to do some crossfit-ISH work outs. BTW, I would NEVER call anything I have done in the past "crossfit" after watching the WOD's on this site! I am prone to boredom, so to mix things up and to make my work outs more cardio-like (my goal at the time was fat loss) I started to do alot of tri-sets, higher reps, plyometrics and compound movements. I ran onto the CF website a few months ago but wrote it off as something that was too difficult for me and geared more towards real athletes. Then a few weeks ago, I read an article about CF and came back to the website and dug a little deeper. Last week, I tried to do a few of the ladies and made up a few workouts and really liked the way I felt! I have several limitations..lack of equipment, no experience with olympic lifts and fear. Today I rode my mt. bike to the gym (10 minutes) and tried the WOD. I started with some air squats and then the bar (45#) before really lifting. I started with 95# which seemed fine the first 4 sets and then I noticed my form was sucking. My rear kept getting higher and higher. So, I stripped off the weight and went back to air squats (with a ball under me this time) and then back to just the bar and then 65# and I started losing form again!!! At first, I thought my legs/glutes were the problem but now I think it may be my core. Anyway, I hope to be up to speed someday so I can jump on the CF wagon!! The women onthis site are very inspirational!!!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: I haven't jumped on the wagon yet....but I'm running along beside it!!

Welcome, Sara.

Now is the PERFECT time to jump right in. The easiest way to get up to speed is to start doing the workouts in whatever capacity you can. Almost everyone has to scale the WODs in the beginning, and many (like me!) continue to scale them until they work up the strength/ technique/ form/ stamina to complete them as "Rx'd".

Check out Brand X Martial Arts for scaling recommendations. Their forum is here: (WFS) http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/v...a9cdcec3157228 You can also search this forum for scaling and substitution recommendations, and definitely check out the "Start Here" and "FAQ" sections of the main site.

Good luck.
Melissa
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Howard Huntsman

Profile:

Sara,
You will do just fine. All of us have to scale the workouts to some degree at first. I still am when needed. I know your intensity and passion and you will be up to CF speed in NO time.
HR
Old 04-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Ashley Hibbitts

Profile:

Sara,
Welcome!! It's great to have another gal onboard. I felt the exact same way in January when I started. I had lifted and "cardio-ed" for at least 15 years and thought I was in such great shape. Well, I am starting to feel like an athlete now. The workouts are fun, you never get bored, and it is so inspiring to watch your progress over the months. The discussion boards are a great source of information and comraderie. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Sara, if you're comfortable with it, and worried that there might be something inherently wrong with your form (rather than just "beginner's issues"), take a vid and post it up for digital coaching. Lots of smart folks over yonder

Also, Melissa, really funny to see you finally got a picture of that workplace locker room workout err... I think that was you who was talking about it, wasn't it? Maybe not. I'm smoking crack.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Sara, if you're comfortable with it, and worried that there might be something inherently wrong with your form (rather than just "beginner's issues"), take a vid and post it up for digital coaching. Lots of smart folks over yonder

Also, Melissa, really funny to see you finally got a picture of that workplace locker room workout err... I think that was you who was talking about it, wasn't it? Maybe not. I'm smoking crack.
Yep, we were talking about it a while back. I did a self-portrait, though... again, can't exactly ask someone from the office to take it.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Sara Taylor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Hibbitts View Post
Sara,
Welcome!! It's great to have another gal onboard. I felt the exact same way in January when I started. I had lifted and "cardio-ed" for at least 15 years and thought I was in such great shape. Well, I am starting to feel like an athlete now. The workouts are fun, you never get bored, and it is so inspiring to watch your progress over the months. The discussion boards are a great source of information and comraderie. Good luck!
Glad to know that I am not the only one who felt like I was in good shape. WOW! I have learned alot this past week. I feel uncoordinated and slow and pretty weak; so I'm looking forward to really feeling like I'm in good shape! I'm interested to see how this affects my mountain biking, rock climbing and kayaking!!!Thanks for all the input for everyone and I'll see about that video.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Lisa Merrifield

Profile:

Sara - Like someone else said, I'd just jump right into it now and scale what you need to.

My history in a nutshell - completely out of shape and significantly overweight. Lost 70 lbs a couple of years ago (was still 25 lbs from my goal weight) but have gained 30 of it back. Started running 5K's and 10K's last year but that stopped in Oct with an IT Band injury. Haven't EVER done any weight lifting. Did some cardio kickboxing for awhile until the time (7:30pm) became a problem with trying to get the kids fed, homework done, in bed, etc. Basically I have done little to improve my physical fitness for a long, long time. My kids' Taekwondo academy has a CrossFit affiliate on site and for some reason I signed up. I've only done the first two days of the "elements" (learning the proper form for lifts, getting some baseline wall balls, KB swings, etc.), but am looking forward to starting the WOD's on Thursday (final "element" training tomorrow morning). I'm scared to death but know this is going to be great for me! Helps that I can do the classes with a small group of people.

So figure that you're eons ahead of me on your fitness journey and just go for it! If I can do this, anyone can. (That said, I haven't really "done it" yet...so maybe I'm speaking too early! ).

I completely agree with your statement about the women on this board...very inspirational. In a totally different league than me, but someday I'll hopefully be able to post some nice stats.

Lisa
Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Hey Sara,

Welcome to the club! I've been Xfitting for 2 months now. It is unbelievable. It doesn't matter what your fitness is when you start...its only going to get better. I scale the workouts as needed. Sometimes, its a puppy or a pack and sometimes even lower. You only compete against yourself. Its fun and you'll never get bored!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:

I started 3 months ago now and started with the Buttercup workouts which kicked my butt!
I slowly moved up on the Brandx scaled workouts and I'm really happy with my progress.
I can even do a pullup now!
You'll come along well- jump on in!