CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:
Medium size home gym how much space?

Hey,
I am trying to figure out how much space is really needed for a home gym if I build it. Things I want in there: lifting platform, GHD, rower, a rack like the R4 or W4 from Rogue, small things like kettle bells, plyobox,...
The lifting platform + rack + GHD will take most of the space but how much extra space is needed? I wanna have enough room to load/unload the bars but on the other side don't wanna waste too much space.
Maybe someone with a home gym could give me some tips on how much space is needed.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Mike Moris

Profile:
Re: Medium size home gym how much space?

I would guesstimate around 20'x20' to be comfortable but 15'x15' will work... The platform w/ rack is about 8'x8'. The ghd take up about 6'x3'. After that its all personal preference..
Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:

the lifting platform should be 8x8 but I do not plan to put the rack on there since I want one similiar to the rogue style where I can do Pullups, hang my rings on.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

I have about what your looking at doing in my gym in the garage. Their is a C2 rower in their as well. I use up half of a two car garage and looking to expand upon approval.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-16 20.11.28.jpg
Views:	2556
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	9129  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:

wow looks really nice. I will draw a plan when I get home tonight. Should be easier to decide if I see it infront of me.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Jay Scott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Rowland View Post
I have about what your looking at doing in my gym in the garage. Their is a C2 rower in their as well. I use up half of a two car garage and looking to expand upon approval.
Nice!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Lukas Kvasnicka

Profile:

I made a plan last night and I think 20x15 would be the minimum if I wanna have enough room to load/unload the bar and place the rest of the equipment.

My plan included a W4 rack from Rogue at one wall. Right in front of that the lifting platform so I can use the rack function of the W4. On the far wall after the lifting platform would be the rower and some spare space for whatever is needed. The GHD would be placed next to the W4 near one of the sides of the room.

I will do a 1:1 layout with ropes in the garden when I get time during the week so I can check if 15x20 is enough or 20x20.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

You really don't need to much room for the rower since it goes up right. I move mine around if need be. Remember it can always go outside as well. Your rack, GHD, jump box, and bumpers take a good amount of space. It will all work its self out though when you start getting stuff in their. I moved things around until I got what I wanted. I have a huge tire that sets just enough inside the garage for it to close. Now I just want more room to be selfish. haha
Old 08-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
Dustin Twiggs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Kvasnicka View Post
I made a plan last night and I think 20x15 would be the minimum if I wanna have enough room to load/unload the bar and place the rest of the equipment.

My plan included a W4 rack from Rogue at one wall. Right in front of that the lifting platform so I can use the rack function of the W4. On the far wall after the lifting platform would be the rower and some spare space for whatever is needed. The GHD would be placed next to the W4 near one of the sides of the room.

I will do a 1:1 layout with ropes in the garden when I get time during the week so I can check if 15x20 is enough or 20x20.
this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it to see if anyone else had feedback or if this size had worked out.

I'm looking to build a shed for my home crossfit gym and right now I'm already realizing that a 16x16 is probably the BARE minimum for 2 people to lift and wod together. and unless I have a tall roof, that includes me putting up the ropes outside on a really tall version of an old fashioned horse tie.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I've got a home gym in the back of my tandem garage. It's 11.5 x 11.5 with an 11.5 ceiling. Rather than working out in the box, we work out in the cube.

Here is a photo of the area:
http://board.crossfit.com/attachment...8&d=1375581063 (wfs)

A small space will require some smart design. You've got to protect floor space and wall space. Floor space for lifting, push-ups, double-unders, etc. and wall space for wall-balls, HSPU, wall climbs. In my space the wall space was not very useful where the window is and where a box protruded from the wall to house a water pipe shut off. So the window wall is where we store floor stuff (bumper plates, plyo boxes, etc.), and we put photos and keepsakes on the wall by the water pipe. We try to keep the back wall and the wall inside the rack clear.

I think your guess that 16x16 for two people to workout is appropriate. In my garage, we can have two doing deadlifts if one person is inside the rack. Two people can do cleans if the weights are light. Any snatches or max effort, and it's only enough space for one person.