CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
David Castellanos

Profile:
Affiliate App rejected

Has anyone ever had their application rejected? My application was recently turned down and they wonít give me a specific reason as to why. My gym had not opened at the time of rejection and we didnít have a website up, so I am wondering what we could have done to cause the rejection. Not sure why our attempts to affiliate are being thwarted. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Not looking to start a legal battle or anything, just really want to get my affiliate app reconsidered. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Affiliate App rejected

Unless you are not mentioning something I would guess you didn't meet the requirements.

I'm assuming Ladera Ranch Strength and Conditioning is you. Didn't find a website but your Facebook page appears to be following the rules. Didn't see one mention of CrossFit.

The secret to dealing with HQ is be very nice, very patient and don't not infringe on the trade mark rules. Everything else can be sorted out but it is a slow process.

Nice gym by the way.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Kyle Courtier

Profile:

Not sure if it did it, but your "about" section on your Facebook says "Crossfit coaching." I'm not even sure if that's infringement or not. I wouldn't even mention that though just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
David Castellanos

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. We are not giving up hope. We list our coaches credentials as CF certified because we all are. I know that can be a bit of a gray area. In their rejection letter to me, HQ told me to continue to teach the CrossFit philosophies and method. I assume that means we can identify ourselves as certified coaches, even if we are not an affiliate?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Castellanos View Post
Thanks for the advice. We are not giving up hope. We list our coaches credentials as CF certified because we all are. I know that can be a bit of a gray area. In their rejection letter to me, HQ told me to continue to teach the CrossFit philosophies and method. I assume that means we can identify ourselves as certified coaches, even if we are not an affiliate?
Yes, you did pay for the Level 1 certification. You can say you are a CrossFit coach, just cannot "sell" CrossFit.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Charles Dunfee

Profile:

I believe a coach or trainer can list CF L1 on a business card or as a credential, it may be, like people said above, that the facebook page representing the gym as a whole is using the term crossfit
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Alex Habib

Profile:

Quote:
As per your level-1 course, you are only given the right to call yourself a "CrossFit Level-1 Coach" or a close variation of that (i.e. L-1 Coach). You CANNOT call yourself "CrossFit certified"...
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

And you probably can't say "CrossFit coaching" either -- since that implies affiliation.

Like the other said, go over your page with a fine toothed comb, change anything that might be a problem, and email them back a nice letter asking to resubmit/reasons for rejection.

They are usually pretty reasonable if the person applying is reasonable.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I will add that if you are associated with anyone who has gotten into a serious battle with HQ then they will not grant you affiliation. So if any of the coaches have had a run in with HQ or any of the owners of the parent company of the gym then you will continue to be denied.

Once someone ****es off HQ they are done with them. HQ is very good at catching people trying to be sneaky.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Matt Charney

Profile:

Quote:
I would guess that your essay may not have passed their review at this point. If you told them you want to affiliate to make money it won't fly.

Keep doing what you are doing.