CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
Damon Stewart

Profile:
I used the search but the only thread I found was from 2003 so sorry if it's been discussed recently.

What do you feed your infants? I eat Paleo, my wife and 9 year old eat what I eat plus bread, but my 1 year old is starting in on people food and it already seems very grain heavy. Other than breast milk he eats rice cereal, yogurt, cheerios, some fruit, and pureed vegetables and sweet potatoes.

I'd like him to eat as clean as I do within reason and don't want the allergies and issues that seem to come with milk. Please post any ideas, thoughts, etc.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Damon,

I don't have a good answer for you on this one. I'm actually curious as to an answer to your question myself.

My daughter is about 20 months old (still breastfeeding part of the time) and getting her to eat anything (other than eggs) than isn't carb dense is like pulling teeth.

Although, we did get her to eat Brussel Sprouts once! She gave us this look like "What in world did you stick in my mouth and please don't ever do it again." But she snacked them down like a trooper rather than spitting them out.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Jared Buffie

Profile:
My son lived on cheese, yogurt and bananas for 3 months (and breast milk) when he was your kid's age. He was the worst eater, and at 3.5, he still is. Thankfully his sister came along and will eat anything.

Eric, I feel your pain. Nothing worse than a picky toddler.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Our almost-3 year old is a pretty good eater and was breast fed until about 2 yrs old. She likes to eat what we're eating and will take stuff from mom's plate even if she has the exact same food (in our eyes, anyway!) on her own plate. So you might try cutting bites of your own food on your plate in front of him into very small pieces and offering them to him. (We've been known to take stuff off her plate, put them on ours, and then offer them to her, but she's better at spotting this now.)

We also tend to do this with whatever we're eating and just have them available in front of her on a plate (Elmo or other Sesame Street are the preferred plates, of course). She has sampled quite a few things. We don't sweat just tossing whatever she doesn't eat. Eventually, she'll sample it. We also don't push her to finish her food; if she's hungry, she'll eat. (Maybe this will change as she gets older and starts wanting junk food.)

When she's hungry and even asking for something specific and carb heavy (Cheerios!), we've also had good success just putting a piece of whatever (omlette, chicken, etc) on a fork in front of her mouth and touching her lips with it. If she's hungry, she'll usually try it. (We still give her the Cheerios.) If she's running around, trying to watch the Wiggles, wanting to paint, and not eating, we let her leave the table and do her thing, but I'll just keep giving her bites of food as long as she'll eat them. (This gets old, but it still happens sometimes.)

If we give in and let her have juice, I try to water it down about 50% (don't get caught! smart, observant little buggers!), but we only ever drink milk or water in general, so that's what she thinks is normal. We give her a choice of the two. Letting her choose is important for her to be happy (and, thus, for us to be happy and indigestion-free, for a while anyway) with her beverage and many other things. (OK, yours is 1, so it will be a few months before this.)

We tried to get our daycare provider onboard about not giving juice, animal crackers ("cookies"), but that just hasn't worked out very well.

Fun times!
Rene'
Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Rene Renteria

Profile:
PS--Oh, and olives (pitted, of course). She loves black olives. I've seen several other toddlers eat them like crazy, too. You might try them for healthy fat.

Also hot dogs. Salty, fatty meat-like item, but it's protein she'll eat.

Don't forget that choking is the #1 baby killer, so cut up grapes, sausages, hot dogs, baby carrots, maybe even olives.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
I'm going with what our Dr told me:

They'll eat anything you want them to if they're hungry enough, know what I mean?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Jared Buffie

Profile:
My daughter's first sentence was "More olives, please".

Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I breastfed all mine til they were 2yrs old. Started them on infant rice cereal between 4-6mos, then introduced one food at a time after that. Tip - start with vegetables, steamed then pureed in the blender. It's easier to introduce the non sweet foods before the fruits. There are small blender containers that can be used to blend and store. Once they were eating a good variety of food, whatever I made for a meal was watered, souped, or milked down and blended.

One of mine had to have raisins with everything she ate - didn't matter what it was. Another had to have pineapples in everything. As long as they had a piece in every bite, they ate everything else on the plate. :-)
Old 10-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #9
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
My wife is studying up on tandem breast feeding. We'll try to night weaning when my wife is in her 2nd trimester. Right now she is too tired to give it the effort that it needs.

Rene,

Sounds like you have pretty much the same philosophy about your kid's eating habits as we do with ours.

You are so right about the not getting caught watering down the juice! :whistling:

Black olives. Hmmm, that will be tricky since both my wife and I dislike them. We'll have to get a jar/can of them and give them a try.

Hot Dogs are a 50-50 proposition. Sometimes she will scarf them, sometimes she will not.

Frank,

Some of them are awfully stubbborn. I don't know where they get that from...

Veronica,

You are right on the veggies. While my daguhter typically will not eat them in quantity, she will nibble at them in preference to most meat foods.

She is also a big fan of pretty much any kind of beans.

I think we may have found our In Everything food tonight. Cantaloupe. My daughter climbed into each of our laps in turn and helped herself to several spoonfuls of Cantaloupe.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I used to give my kids well cooked meat with vegetables. For instance gullash with some sort of root: carrots, potatoes, turnips etc. Let it simmer for 2-3 hours. I also gave them fresh fruit, paté, meat in al sorts, mashed vegetables and fruits ...

Otherwise if he's/she's one year you can give him/her anything you eat yourself, since the production of just about all digestive enzymes have been established in the organism at this stage of development.