CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-21-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
The man who did it is Jared Savik, U.S. Border Patrol Agent and Top American KB Champion. He has just posted his new record on the DD forum. http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/313212/

Very impressive. He has done 40 snatches right, then 40 left using a 70# kb, and has done 30 reps (in GS comp) C&J with two 70# kbs. You can check him out at his site www.FitnessYouCanUse.com

Coach Glassman told me he was SURE certain elite Crossfitters could beat the old record (257 in 10 min.) the FIRST time they ever tried it. While I admire Coach (who has WELL justified pride in his CFers), I don't think he knows how hard it is to do over 200 kb snatches in 10 minutes, let alone over 250. I'm sure with some technique work and practice, CFers will kick *** at this test, BUT to break records right out of the gate isn't realistic.

I did 148 reps my first time, just pacing myself and trying to find the correct tempo, number of switches needed, the correct arch and finish hold, etc. I've done 205 reps with the 35# kb, doing 20 reps a hand in about 50-55 seconds, then putting the bell down for 5-10 seconds, then doing the other hand. There is a big difference when you start going over 10 reps a hand. You need to grip the kb, lock out, and lower and catch the kb differently to save your grip strength. The ballistic nature also can play havoc on your low back, and I'm a example of that. I have a slight (1/8") difference in leg length. Never hurt me until I started to do high rep KB work (multiple sets over 2 min.). Because my back was pre-fautigued from trying to compensate for the hip tilt, my low back would give out, neccessitating visits to my Rolfer and Chiro for much work and rehab. Now I have a 1/8" lift under my shorter leg and longer sets are now injury free.

If you haven't tried the US Secret Service Snatch Test, you should try it. Women can use a 26#kb or a 35# if you are really strong and/or big. Men can do the 53#, but I would make sure you can do over 150 with a 35# kb before trying. Your technique should be such that you don't bang your forearm. Just as Kelly Moore about her injury snatching a 53#kb with poor technique.

The rules for the Snatch Test can be found at www.dragondoor.com/wpkb12.html#ussstest I encourage you to do it with a 40 or 55# DB if you don't have a KB to use. Some CFer suggested we call the test "Natasha" and make it one of the Girls. Sounds about right to me!

Old 01-21-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Any thoughts about doing this with a dumbbell?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Paul, I should imagine doing this with a dumbbell of equivalent weight would still be an extremely taxing workout. Depends where you stand on the whole kettlebells/no kettlebells issue I guess.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I need a little clarification on the rules: When lowering the bell is it sufficient to lower it to arms length swing under legs and snatch again, or does it need to touch the ground?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
Graham,

The bell does not have to touch the ground between reps. But you can't lower it to your shoulder and then swing it back between your legs for the next snatch. Gotta be a full swing back down from the top.

Paul,
Snatches with a 55# dumbbell are much easier than with a 53# KB. But doing the snatch test with dumbbell would still make for a great workout.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Thanks Michael!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

I think snatches with a dumbbell are actually harder than the kettlebell if your kb technique is efficient. If you are snatching the kb just so, the bell never goes as high as your hand in the lockout position, it is turning as you get towards lockout. The pull with the db is longer and with reps, it's going to catch up with you.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
Brian,

Your observation of the Girivoy Sport snatch technique, where the bell wraps around the hand instead of flipping over, being easier than a dumbbell snatch is probably acurate in the top end of the exercise. Most KB'ers that have done the snatch challenge and put up big numbers have used a combination of GS technique and "RKC" technique. From the comments I've read the more advaced guys use the flip-over technique on the upswing and the GS corkscrew technique on the down swing, and have commented that this tends to be the most time efficient way to go. Regardless the thicker handle of the KB and the displaced center of the weight make the drill more demanding, specifically on the grip when performed in the above fashion or where you let it flip over on the up and down swing, than that of a dumbell. And even though you can switch hands as often as you would like switching hands takes extra time. I myself prefer the most inefficient technique, letting the bell flip over at the top and on the down swing, because it takes more out of me.

But regardless of what tool you use, snatching for 10 minutes is a great strength endurance workout.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
Woody Davis

Profile:

There is some discussion of it here:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/6874.html

But Jared is a beast. I met him once and he won the US National Girvoy Sport champions last May. I have tried this test twice with the 53#. I weight ~180 at ~6ft. Did 210 snatches in 11:15 earlier this week. I would switch every 5 reps and put the bell down every 20.

Regarding technique, I think Jared once said that he uses the GS technique of rolling the bell around the handle on the down swing, but the RKC style of the handle flipping around on the upward movement. This is most likely because the speed with which you must snatch the bell when doing this many reps in 10 minutes.

The max anyone seems to be able to do with one arm and no switching is ~33 per minute. So once we see 300 reps, I don't think people will do much more. I will essentially be a ten minute sprint. At that point I guess you move to the 70# KB. 10 minutes of snatching the 70 would be a monster workout.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
Mike Sasin

Profile:

"Snatches with a 55# dumbbell are much easier than with a 53# KB. But doing the snatch test with dumbbell would still make for a great workout."

Everyone always says this, but after having worked snatches exclusively with a KB for the last couple of years, I've found that snatches with a KB are actually easier than with a DB.