CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Protecting your Knees?

Hi guys,
I'm rolling up on my one year anniversary (43yo), and I'm smashing PR's with the pressure/excitement of great coaches and the open. As I go heavier and heavier I'm uncovering unseen weaknesses in form and mobility that I work diligently to improve. Most recent is a general 'heat' in my knees after some wods. ..nothing bad, but I can tell that I need to keep vigil before something happens. I currently take fish oil. ..I 'try' to keep my knees out in squats.. I 'try' to bend from my hips over my knees when appropriate.. but my coaches key in on it, so I know there is still room to improve.

What other tips do you all have to prevent knee issues?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Jake Kozlowski

Profile:
Re: Protecting your Knees?

Diet and barefoot style running are the two things that changed my knees for the better. By diet, I mean the elimination of grains and dairy.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Marcus Allen

Profile:

How much mobility work do you do compared to time spent WODing?

I'm 40 and I can usually tell within a few days if I've been slacking on the stretching and dynamic mobility work.

Try adding 5-10 Sun Salutation sequences after waking and before bed. That's maybe 5 minutes per session.

Look in to Ido Portale as well, does some great mobility sequences.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Look above----Improve mobility or stability of hips, if needed.

Look below-----Work on ankle mobility.

2 huge culprits of knee complaints.

Whats up Jake!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Kozlowski View Post
Diet and barefoot style running are the two things that changed my knees for the better. By diet, I mean the elimination of grains and dairy.
Excellent, already on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
How much mobility work do you do compared to time spent WODing?

I'm 40 and I can usually tell within a few days if I've been slacking on the stretching and dynamic mobility work.

Try adding 5-10 Sun Salutation sequences after waking and before bed. That's maybe 5 minutes per session.

Look in to Ido Portale as well, does some great mobility sequences.
Ahh cool. So the idea is that binding mobility, is forcing more to my knees? I mobility for 7-10 mins before WoD's but that's it.. That includes shoulders. Not a ton of hips.. hmmm. It looks like it's time to mob more often at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Look above----Improve mobility or stability of hips, if needed.
Look below-----Work on ankle mobility.
2 huge culprits of knee complaints.
Whats up Jake!
Funny you say that, ankles are showing up as another weak spot now too. I experience a bit of pain in dorsiflexion on one ankle. I have to take special care when landing.

Thanks for the tips, going to watch some mobility stuff.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Rob Brown

Profile:

.... figures

The day after I ask.

Doing front squats, 21, 15, 9, 6 reps @ #95, kinda heavy for me.. rep #26 I feel sharp heat on the left side of the right knee. Was watching my form, was working on keeping my knees out, but was at the point of a little bit of wobble. Go to pick up the bar, and the sensation gets hot, and spikes across the center of my knee. I release the bar, feels fine. Go to grab it for a second try, warm spike... fug.

I stopped, knee under ice now, and feels fine while walking, standing sitting... reading about knee pain now.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Here's the thing- you're a guy, so you probably have tight hamstrings. If you did any sort of squating above parallel prior to CF, you're probably also quad dominant. That's bad for your knees.

The problem is, it is very difficult to only fix one spot. Tight hammies=tight calves/ankles and tight hips. Tight hips=tight low back and tight shoulders.

7-10 min pre WOD is nothing. I would guess you need 2 or 3 15 minute sessions EVERY DAY. Start simple, pick like 5 static stretches for post WOD and rest days and hold each position for 2 minutes.

For pre wod try the Catalyst Athletics warm up. It takes about 10-15 minutes depending on reps and includes a monostructural warm up(running or rowing).
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
Here's the thing- you're a guy, so you probably have tight hamstrings. If you did any sort of squating above parallel prior to CF, you're probably also quad dominant. That's bad for your knees.
Totally.. thanks for the hard core input. I got myself a little project now and will work on your suggestions.

Going to the doc this morning to make sure whatever the pain was will not be exacerbated with further wodding.

Damn, I feel for anyone who suffers injuries.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Rob - I didn't see anyone mention Kelly Starrett's blog at mobilityWOD.com. (WFS) Lots of good ideas there for various stretches. Also has a good search function so that you can search for stretching ideas for your problem areas.

Steven Low also has good info on sitting, shoes and lower body dysfunction on his website at:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/ (wfs)

Some good evaluation criteria in that article to help you assess where you need flexibility work on your lower half.

Good luck with the knee.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Hingle View Post
Rob - I didn't see anyone mention Kelly Starrett's blog at mobilityWOD.com. (WFS) Lots of good ideas there for various stretches.

Steven Low also has good info on sitting, shoes and lower body dysfunction on his website at:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/ (wfs)

Good luck with the knee.
Love Kelly's blog, checking out Steves now, thanks!

Went to the sports doc. His opinion is poor mobility caused minor ligaments to shift my knee cap during squats resulting in some pinching. Word is no real problems, continue wodding and improve mobility.. such a relief.

It's interesting, getting close to my 1 year anniversary has me in new territory. I've got relatively okay form, but the additional power is exposing leaks in my form that I though otherwise decent.

Time to double up on mobility, thanks for the links.