CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Allan Jackman

Profile:
Is ClifBar a Protein, Carb or Fat???

The Clif Bar has 42g Carb, 11g Protein and 6g Fat. Do I just convert it to blocks, thus 4.7 blocks Carb, 1.6 blocks Protein & 4 blocks Fat? Or am I correct to consider the bar a carb only block?

I eat a little more than half the bar (I considered it a Carb w/ 3 blocks), and then eat almonds (Fat 3 blocks) and a protein shake (Protein 3 blocks) for breakfast due to my schedule while being deployed, but want to know if I'm calculating and categorizing this correctly.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Is ClifBar a Protein, Carb or Fat???

it's a chemistry experiment.

eat real food
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Allan Jackman

Profile:

Renee,
I knew something like this would come up, and I agree with you. I read your other posts in regards to similar threads, but if I'm out on a mission, b/c I'm deployed, and it's all I have in my bag, how do I categorize it.

I do usually take in a crap load of greens with my protein, which gets funny looks in the DFAC. My guys say that I'm like a cow, grazing on greens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
it's a chemistry experiment.

eat real food
Old 05-16-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Michael Schmolt

Profile:

Hey man, I'm deployed too, and I know what it's like just trying to get in a decent meal here and there. Sadly, not everyone knows what it's like. On the plus side, I think you've got the right idea. but mostly, are you seeing a deterioration in your body composition? That's what I would look for for an answer to that question. Basically if in a few weeks you feel worse, or are looking worse, then reevaluate what you're ingesting.

...it's a chemistry experiment.

That's how I feel about diet in general.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Can you get the Clif Builder Bars? More protein/less carbs than what you posted.

Also, the thinkthin bars are a good whack of protein for not so many carbs.

Thank you for your service.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Frank Hallstrom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
Can you get the Clif Builder Bars? More protein/less carbs than what you posted.
I agree with Scott. A Clif Builder bar is pretty close to a three block meal (if you're ok with eating soy). Eating a regular Clif bar isn't much better than eating a candy bar. If I were eating one, I'd count it as a large carb block.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Allan Jackman

Profile:

The Clif Bars are free at the DFAC, I don't think the Builder bars are an option.

Thanks for the replies, it does seem like the overall consensus agrees that they are pretty much the wrong thing to be consumed.

Today, I have ditched the Clif Bar and went into the DFAC to get egg whites, sausage links, oatmeal, strawberry yogurt with nuts mixed in and a couple melon bites.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Jesse Gray

Profile:

A general rule of thumb when counting Zone blocks is to only count the most dominant macro nutrient. In the case of your cliff bar, I would count it as a carbohydrate. Again, this is a pretty general rule and their are exceptions (whole milk for instance) but for the most part, if a food has a ton of one thing and some of the other, just count the one part.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jackman View Post
The Clif Bars are free at the DFAC, I don't think the Builder bars are an option.

Thanks for the replies, it does seem like the overall consensus agrees that they are pretty much the wrong thing to be consumed.

Today, I have ditched the Clif Bar and went into the DFAC to get egg whites, sausage links, oatmeal, strawberry yogurt with nuts mixed in and a couple melon bites.
If quality calories are hard to come by, why are you throwing the yolks out? Eat the whole egg, both for the calories and the nutrients in the yolk.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Joshua Sullins

Profile:

Allan! Nice to see you on the forum, brother. People at my box sometimes use the Clif Builder Bars, just like people here have said, because they have fewer carbs and more protein, so it is pretty much a nice 3-block meal/snack all in a convenient wrapper.

However, I hear what you are saying - the standard Clif Bars are free in the DFAC. From my personal understanding, I think the run-of-the-mill Clif Bars are not good options on the Zone.

Keep grazing, Allan. Hey, when you deploy, give me your APO address or whatever. Me and the guys at my box will send Builder bars and packs of almond butter. Seriously.

Joshua