CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Richard Otis

Profile:
Am i even doing CrossFit?

I have a very blunt question. What is Cross-fit exactly? I love the idea of cross fit because it requires little to no equipment. I can not afford to work out at a box so I am trying to do it at my home. I do not have a garage so I can not put up a squat stand or have the room to do the Olympic lifts. I have a couple of big tractor tires that i use for numerous movements like box jumps for example, a jump rope, a couple of 5 gallon gas cans full of water with handles that work great as a kettle bell and also works great as a sandbag replacement. And I have an old swing-set that i can do pull ups on. Those are really the only equipment I have right now. I am hoping to build a sled and a medicine ball soon. I have a couple of concerns though. First of all, if the weather is crappy I will not be able to do my outside workouts which will limit me to free weight stuff like squats, push ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks. Second, i am TRYING to do 3 on 1 off split. Should I try to do a full body work out each day or try to split it up between the days? Third, I don't want to be a wanna be cross fit athlete I want to be a normal cross fitter. I want to do the benchmark work outs in ever once in a while and I am going to try to do some WOD's that are posted here. What do i need to do to be considered a cross fitter. I may sound stupid asking these questions but I just love the concept of cross fit and I would like to do it. Thanks in advanced guys!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Jeremy Green

Profile:
Re: Am i even doing CrossFit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Otis View Post
I have a very blunt question. What is Cross-fit exactly? I love the idea of cross fit because it requires little to no equipment. I can not afford to work out at a box so I am trying to do it at my home. I do not have a garage so I can not put up a squat stand or have the room to do the Olympic lifts. I have a couple of big tractor tires that i use for numerous movements like box jumps for example, a jump rope, a couple of 5 gallon gas cans full of water with handles that work great as a kettle bell and also works great as a sandbag replacement. And I have an old swing-set that i can do pull ups on. Those are really the only equipment I have right now. I am hoping to build a sled and a medicine ball soon. I have a couple of concerns though. First of all, if the weather is crappy I will not be able to do my outside workouts which will limit me to free weight stuff like squats, push ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks. Second, i am TRYING to do 3 on 1 off split. Should I try to do a full body work out each day or try to split it up between the days? Third, I don't want to be a wanna be cross fit athlete I want to be a normal cross fitter. I want to do the benchmark work outs in ever once in a while and I am going to try to do some WOD's that are posted here. What do i need to do to be considered a cross fitter. I may sound stupid asking these questions but I just love the concept of cross fit and I would like to do it. Thanks in advanced guys!

First off, welcome to the community. As far as are you a crossfitter? I'm sure others will add to this, but I will say as long as you are intelligently programming yourself for general physical preparedness, you are a cross fitter. As you delve deeper into the various aspects you'll find different ways to do this(oly lifts, bw exercises, endurance, mobility workouts, etc). Just keep improving and trying new things.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

That's a good question Richard!

First off, I think its awesome what you are doing, I like that you have taken responsibility for your body, and despite not have all the "conventional" equipment, still get out there and work with what you have! Watch Rocky 4, his training montage popped into my head when you described all of your ILDs (Improvised Lifting Devices)!

As for if you are doing Crossfit........CF uses components of powerlifting, weightlifting, conditioning, endurance, gymnastics etc.....you can do any or all of those and be (or not be) doing Crossfit. Its really up to you, in your head, if you say you are doing Crossfit, then you are. If you say youre not, then you aren't.....
That probably doesn't clear anything up for you at all, does it?

Sorry!

Welcome to the boards anyway! Weather you do or don't do CF, there are lots of good people here, and lots to learn!
Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

The primary objective of CrossFit training is to be able to lift large loads long distances quickly (LLLDQ). If you're serious about achieving this objective, you need to learn the fundamentals of CrossFit. The safest, quickest and most effective way of doing this is taking on a "fundamentals" or "on-ramp" class at a CrossFit affiliate through certified CrossFit coaches. Let's be honest, you can watch youtube videos, read articles all day to learn gymnastics, olympic weightlifiting and metcon exercises but, at the end of the day, it's safer and more effective to have a coach correct any faulty movement patterns before you start committing to heavier weights and higher volume of training. This initial investment into your CrossFit lifestyle can save you from future injury and make CrossFit a lot more fun for you. The best part about CrossFit is the community of passionate athletes who encourage each other to push past our limits and become better.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Jason A Smith

Profile:

As someone who has gone it alone, without much coaching over almost four years I will say this. it would have been nice to have learned in a Crossfit Affiliate. I sent the last three months prior to this as a paying member. Coach is really good, but only been at it for a year. Often, there was little coaching and correction at least for me.

I think you are doing "Constantly Varied Functional Movements Across Broad Time and Modal Domains" from the sound of it, while increasing work capacity to perform real life tasks. All while improving the ten aspects of fitness. This is all covered in "What is Fitness". Using the gear is just a means to an end.

My hat is off to you. I started with DB's, a pull ups bar and rings, following as best I could. Built up my gear slowly over time.