CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Joshua Gorman

Profile:
DL Critique

Finally getting back at it after a 6 month break. Wanted to get some criticism on my DL form. I am 148lbs, 5'6", and this is 275lbs.

Link is WSFS.

http://youtu.be/wAuz686mPxI

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Kyle Feliberty

Profile:
Re: DL Critique

someone far more experienced than I will jump on this for sure, but immediatley noticed hips raising without the shoulders.. they should be pulling together with weight in the heels. and getting those knees out of the way first will help to allow your shoulders to pull with hips, not after
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Joshua Gorman

Profile:

Thanks Kyle. I think I was at a point before where I knew how proper form felt, but now I am starting all over.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Kyle Feliberty

Profile:

No problem, a good que that helped me was while setting up, you want to feel tension in your hamstrings like a loaded rubberband prior to the lift. For me this meant bringing my hips back and slightly up, coincidently this placed my hips where they were raising to already (if that makes sense)
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

Hi, Joshua. Here's what you should do differently:

1. Proper Set-up: feet underneath hips, vertical shins, weight on heels.
Approach the bar until your shins touch it. Your feet should be situated underneath your hips. Keep your shins perpendicular (vertical shins) to the floor when you establish that grip on the bar. Stay on your heels while keeping a neutral spine (don't round your back or stick your chest out or anything).

2. Proper execution: abs tight, shoulders and hips rise at the same time, push through the heels.
Since your body rocked forward before you started the lift, that caused your midline (core) to collapse resulting in your hips rising faster than your shoulders. Before you start that lift, bring your butt back (so that you're on your heels and not having to rock forward). During the lift, keep pushing through the heels while keeping that bar close to your body. The less distance you create between your body and the bar, the more strength you can use to raise the bar upwards (not upwards and inwards). Makes sense, right? Also, on the way down, send that butt back and then bend your knees and reset to "vertical shin" position before repeating the cycle.

If you use chalk on your palms during this lift, you should see chalk on the front of your thighs afterwards. Set up properly, execute properly and THEN increase the load. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

In addition, I like to see a more neutral/packed neck posture. Try stacking/packing the neck which might have you look slightly down and see if that helps you feel more stable locked in. When people look up or really crane their neck you can start to cause looseness downstream in the spine.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Brian Lelli

Profile:

I do the same thing when the weight gets in the 90%+ range.

Weak hamstrings are the cause; very common.

Add in some work for them and listen to the cues the other folks listed.

Don't be afraid to keep the bar closer to the shins and give yourself a good scrape That'll allow you to sit back further and keep more upright.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo Mendoza View Post
Hi, Joshua. Here's what you should do differently:

1. Proper Set-up: feet underneath hips, vertical shins, weight on heels.
Approach the bar until your shins touch it. Your feet should be situated underneath your hips. Keep your shins perpendicular (vertical shins) to the floor when you establish that grip on the bar. Stay on your heels while keeping a neutral spine (don't round your back or stick your chest out or anything).

2. Proper execution: abs tight, shoulders and hips rise at the same time, push through the heels.
Since your body rocked forward before you started the lift, that caused your midline (core) to collapse resulting in your hips rising faster than your shoulders. Before you start that lift, bring your butt back (so that you're on your heels and not having to rock forward). During the lift, keep pushing through the heels while keeping that bar close to your body. The less distance you create between your body and the bar, the more strength you can use to raise the bar upwards (not upwards and inwards). Makes sense, right? Also, on the way down, send that butt back and then bend your knees and reset to "vertical shin" position before repeating the cycle.

If you use chalk on your palms during this lift, you should see chalk on the front of your thighs afterwards. Set up properly, execute properly and THEN increase the load. Good luck!
vertical shins??? Maybe if you are doing RDL's but not for a standard dead-lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xY1SmSRYx4

if you want the lift to carry over to other lifts, take for example the clean, you should set up the same way. Now if you are just dead-lifting for the sake of dead-lifting as heavy as possible I'd say lose the weightlifting shoes, and that right there will put you in a more efficient pulling position.

As for the guy in the video, work on keeping that back much flatter throughout the movement. Think about pushing instead of pulling it like this...I'm not trying to pull the bar up, i'm setting my back tight, arms long, and drive the feet through the floor through the heels. Also, possibly think about losing the belt as well. I don't see any reason you should be using a belt unless you are going for a heavy 1RM in a powerlifting meet. The point of dead-lifting heavy and squatting heavy is so you can not only build strong legs and a strong pull but you build a strong core as well. Don't let the belt become a crutch. I see it happen way to often.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Sean's video is a good example of how to Deadlift if you are an oly lifter. Wider grip, wider stance and body set up more like an Oly lifter.

Powerlifters may use a narrower stance, usually a narrower grip and keep their head more neutral. Powerlifters shoot for getting their shins near vertical which helps get more of the body behind the bar allowing you to coutnerbalance the weight. Oly lifters tend to have more shoulders/upper body over the bar to set up their position for cleaning or snatching.

Not saying one is right/wrong but different goals and perspectives might lean towards different techniques.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Sean's video is a good example of how to Deadlift if you are an oly lifter. Wider grip, wider stance and body set up more like an Oly lifter.

Powerlifters may use a narrower stance, usually a narrower grip and keep their head more neutral. Powerlifters shoot for getting their shins near vertical which helps get more of the body behind the bar allowing you to coutnerbalance the weight. Oly lifters tend to have more shoulders/upper body over the bar to set up their position for cleaning or snatching.

Not saying one is right/wrong but different goals and perspectives might lean towards different techniques.
I agree, your positioning depends on your goal like I said before. If you are trying to get your deadlifts to carry over in order to snatch and clean more the set up just like you would in your Olympic lifts. If your goal is to have the most efficient deadlift and lift the most weight then set up like a powerlifter and lose the lifting shoes.