CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Stuart Carraway

Profile:
Difference

What would you say the difference is between the two different types of people?

A person who says they CrossFit..

A person who actually is CrossFit..
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: Difference

A person who says they CrossFit - normal

A person who actually is CrossFit - OCD

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
What would you say the difference is between the two different types of people?

A person who says they CrossFit..

Stuart,

My best guess would be to categorize the people....

Cat I: Those who say that they Crossfit are the folks who follow the protocols of the sport and do it to stay in shape, get stronger, improve flexibility, etc.....For lack of a better term, the masses.

Cat II: Those who ARE Crossfit are the folks that compete in comps like the Garage Games, CF Games, etc. I wouldn't call them all professionals but competitors would probably be a more accurate description.

The difference could be looked at by committment......This is just my 2 cents worth.

Michael
Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
Stuart,

My best guess would be to categorize the people....

Cat I: Those who say that they Crossfit are the folks who follow the protocols of the sport and do it to stay in shape, get stronger, improve flexibility, etc.....For lack of a better term, the masses.

Cat II: Those who ARE Crossfit are the folks that compete in comps like the Garage Games, CF Games, etc. I wouldn't call them all professionals but competitors would probably be a more accurate description.

The difference could be looked at by committment......This is just my 2 cents worth.

Michael
I just find it funny. Some people say the are a CrossFitter but they do not act like it. I was just wondering if I thought this only, or if other people did?

To me a CrossFitter is someone who takes what the learn and installs it in their life. We all learn something about ourselves and it changes who we are.

A person who says the do it but could not call themself a CrossFitter is just someone who does it as a quick fad, because it is the cool thing to do.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

For many of us it's just an excercise program.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
CrossFit is a proper noun (a brand name), you can't "is CrossFit".
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Richard Colon

Profile:

I do Crossfit movements. Other times I don't. I love a good metcon and a good couplet or triplet. I love me some Chipper stuff. Other times, I still exercise and train and I don't do any of that stuff. Sometimes I even do Barbell curls IN THE SQUAT RACK. There are times when mainsite makes me think - "ooh, I wanna try that". Other times, I go to this site and read the WoD and think "well that sounds fuh@#$g retarded".

Either way, I DO Crossfit. Saying I AM Crossfit is indicating in some fashion that it defines me. I'll pass. I don't want any one thing to try and define me, for fear of loss of balance, moderation and appreciation for things that are very opposite of the initial thing (confusing right?)

Some weekends ago, I ate well. Flooded my body with water and a metric $hit ton of protein and paleoish stuff. My face looked like Spinach. AND I back squatted heavy and did some crazy burpee, row, metconish thing. It was brilliant and for a moment I started to think -"this is what it is about."

About a week ago, I sat at my kitchen table playing some really nerdy boardgames. I mean more than Monopoly. Like with toy miniatures, a complex board and chess like strategy. I did this with a finger pointing directly at K-Star as I don't remember getting up much. My hips were tight as hell and I had some horrible posture. I'm talking for 4+hrs. Along with all of this was the snack feast. Kettle cooked Jalapeno chips, a load of M&Ms, 1 Monster and at least 2-3 sodas (the real stuff - Coke and Dr. Pepper and Mt. Dew). My dinner was garlic crust pizza, with extra Mozzarella sprinkled on from my fridge.

Physically I felt like a giant pile of a$$. However, the boardgame brought out so many smiles from my daugther and cheers when something went well that, even during that moment I once again said - "this is what it is about."

Both times were of equal value in my life. That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

The pleasure I have of being a dad allows me to constantly say -"get away from the video games, go outside and run or do something active." Another day, I will look right at my son and say, "are you seriously going to eat that fettucine alfredo without ordering a coke?". In the end, it teaches them the story I want to tell.

my 2cents

Last edited by Richard Colon; 12-06-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If I heard someone say "I am CrossFit" in a non-ironic, non-sarcastic way I'd probably have an overwhelming urge to punch them in the face.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Trevor Ryan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
For many of us it's just an excercise program.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If I heard someone say "I am CrossFit" in a non-ironic, non-sarcastic way I'd probably have an overwhelming urge to punch them in the face.
+1

When I wrestled competitively I cut weight, worked out upwards of 2 hours a day, did crossfit type workouts before crossfit even existed (sandbags, burpees, pull-ups, metcons of lifting weights - a program made popular in collegiant wrestling by the Brands brothers from Iowa)... I did all of this. I didn't walk around and say to people "I am amateur wresting"... because if I did I'd probably get punched in the face from somone like Eric, and I'd undoubtedly meet someone who was better than me who'd kick my @ss on the mat.

Crossfit is a strength and conditioning program... Some people use it to stay in shape, some people are great athletes and enjoy pushing themselves to the limit, some people even compete in competitions. None of this is unique to crossfit. It's called sports in which ahtletes compete.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Scott Walters

Profile:

I competed at a national level at water polo years ago. I never once said I am water polo. I did not let it define me as a human being. And thank goodness, being that I have not played seriously in ten years. Who would I be now if that was my self definition?

For me, the "I am crossfit" thing is one of the few turn offs to this community. Each to their own, but seriously, it's a brand. No one says I am coke, although the way some consume it, it is probably a closer reality!