CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Sexism, the empty calories of fitness marketing.

So we are walking through tent city at regionals, we pass a shirt, "I did them all, Diane, Angie etc, with a girl on a stripper pole".. Meh, seems kinda disrespectful. Throughout the day we pass several more shirts and creepy guys, with silly crude innuendos that easily could have easily been stolen off a bathroom wall.. Meh again, but when we got to talking about it, it started to eat at me. There seems to be a lot of new sex(ism?) being used to market our thing to get our bux. ..I can think of several recent marketing attempts that belittle women in one way or another.

..Folks, these are our friends, teammates, coaches and counterparts. They are our girlfriends, wives, friends and family members. I don't understand why the growing need be sexist or crass to them.

I guess, I'm thankful for these shirts in one way. They are basically a good way to spot creepers.. We literally saw some fatty with one, yelling down the concourse "..lets go check out the girls snatches, hur, hur" .. silly creepy fellow.

Just be aware that when you buy into the sexism, your basically telling a growing population that you are creepy.. and for me personally, I don't want you working out behind or around my lady when she needs to peel down in 100 degree heat.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Coy Bethel

Profile:
Re: Sexism, the empty calories of fitness marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Folks, these are our friends, teammates, coaches and counterparts. They are our girlfriends, wives, friends and family members.
Yes...I agree. I think us guys need to keep this in mind in general...not just in the realm of Crossfit. They are our mothers and daughters too.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Jeremy Moss

Profile:

Boys like checking out girls...

Girls like checking out boys...

What's the problem? That this basic primal fact was put out into the open?

Such sensitivity over a simple thing when it's what's on most peoples minds the majority of the time.

Seems pretty naive to think the opposite because I guarantee you the majority if not 99.9999999% of women there were checking out the mens bums and other body parts during the whole thing.

The T-shirts a little crass? I hardly think so. The dude yelling about snatches? Maybe... I seem to remember many men.. and women on this board getting a laugh out of a t-shirt suggestion of 'Got Snatch' or 'I (heart) snatch' with a heart shape & a person doing a snatch in the heart.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Eh. It's tough to argue too hard against this when so many women seem willing to pose topless for exercise photos. We live in a sexualized culture. It is what it is.

I wouldn't wear a shirt like that personally, but if someone else wants to...whatever. You think if they didn't make shirts like this there wouldnt still be creepy dudes oogling your girl in her CF shorts and sports bra? You should be thankful for the shirts. At least now you know who the creepers are.

On the flip side I wouldn't be offended if a girl had on some shirt that had some fun with words making a joke about dudes in some way.

I do get where you're coming from though. It's always different when it's YOUR girlfriend/wife/daughter, but like I said; the world is how it is.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Steve Gillanders

Profile:

The "my wife's snatch is bigger than yours" t-shirt is so played out...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Shawn Bellon

Profile:

My wife is a competitive bodybuilder and the CrossFit women I have trained in powerlifting tend to have the same thoughts: be seen as an athlete not a sex object. Especially when you are competing. It is tacky and immature...and annoying. Shut the heck up with the stupid shirts etc. Just train. Save it for match.com or whatever your flavor is.

If you think its ok to disrespect women then you just shared your moral compass and maturity level with the board. ...and you are in the minority.

At our box we wouldnt even say WOD because of how stupid it sounds. Workout suffices.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Never said it was okay to disrespect women. Just don't think the shirts are that big of a deal. I personally agree that they're played out and not really even funny, but who's to decide if they're disrespectful or not? You and your wife might think they're demeaning and disrespectful, but I've seen women wear shirts like that themselves. Obviously they think it's funny and not disrespectful. Who's right?

My oppinion is that they're just shirts. Not something to get all tied up about. Thinking that something in bad taste is funny doesn't make you a bad person.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I looked up a picture of the shirt you were talking about. I agree that it is in poor taste.

Ironically, right next to it on google images there was a girl in a CF gym with a shirt that said "harder, faster, longer, deeper..." Also in poor taste?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
I looked up a picture of the shirt you were talking about. I agree that it is in poor taste.

Ironically, right next to it on google images there was a girl in a CF gym with a shirt that said "harder, faster, longer, deeper..." Also in poor taste?
I wouldn't wear it.

But there are a couple of things going on here.

First, it's always tricky when a person who is not a member of a group co-opts the humor of that group. Try using ethnic slurs about any group other than your own and see how far you get. The guys at my gym or my dojo can say things to me and I to them that no one else could.

And then there's the issue of the general objectification of women in the culture. Very few women enjoy comments from random strangers at a construction site. And because men and women are wired differently, for a guy to say "girls look at guys too" totally misses the point.

Add on top of that the difficulty that female athletes have being taken seriously.

Yeah, it's a problem.

Katherine
Old 06-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Meh. It's a t-shirt. I've seen girls at MMA events wearing much, much worse than anything I've seen in CrossFit circles.