CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Grant Nichols

Profile:
Is Kimbo an Ultimate Fighter?????

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...nkie&type=lgns

I just pulled this off yahoo sports (WFS). I really hope this doesn't happen. Anyone disagree?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Is Kimbo an Ultimate Fighter?????

I think that's pretty much Dana White's way of saying F.U. to EliteXC and Kimbo. It's a pretty big insult to offer their top fighter a spot on a reality show to try to win a spot in the UFC. He's saying their guy isn't even good enough to be in teh UFC as an up and comer. I interpret this as just Dana's way of getting a little attention and talking crap about Elite/Kimbo.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
John Bickel

Profile:

No point for Kimbo to be on the show. He does not need the exposure to the fanbase. He needs to work on his holes aka ground game.

Dana would just want to use him to boost ratings and possiblely humilate him in the process.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

You know what I don't care if they do. My problem was never with Kimbo, but Elite XC. It's a smart business move if they do and it would be extremely interesting to see him on the show and see what kind of guy he is and to see if other fighters give him respect or just hate him. Although it is going to **** off other people who are losing a spot to a guy who has been doing this for all of what? 2 years now?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
I think that's pretty much Dana White's way of saying F.U. to EliteXC and Kimbo. It's a pretty big insult to offer their top fighter a spot on a reality show to try to win a spot in the UFC. He's saying their guy isn't even good enough to be in teh UFC as an up and comer. I interpret this as just Dana's way of getting a little attention and talking crap about Elite/Kimbo.
Yeah, but even Kimbo had to know he wasn't their top fighter, just a top attraction. You could be right about Dana(you normally are) and I wouldn't be surprised, but I also think Dana knows he isn't all hype and that if they bring him in and make him a legitimate fighter it means big $ for the UFC.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Scott Stevens

Profile:

I would like to see it happen just to kill the kimbofever. He's not a good fighter. He's all hype.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Jon Daniel Hoberg

Profile:

I don't want to see this happen because it would begin to make MMA seem like a joke. Dana is a jerk and we all know that.

Kimbo on the other hand was a street fighter who is riding his internet fame and making some serious cash... but who wouldn't? Right? Kimbo deserves some respect in the case that he hasn't shown up and discounted the sport. He's been training under good people (i.e. Bas and Randy Katomi) and taking it seriously. In every interview i have ever seen with him he has been well spoken and has never ranked himself as anything but new to the game.

I don't really care where the fighters come from as long as they take the sport seriously and put on good fights. MMA is very new to mainstream and needs to be introduced in the right way so it can be taken as a serious sport.

Sorry for the run on... luv mma
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Yeah- I agree that it would be a slap in the face to Kimbo, but SFW?

If he really wanted to prove himself worthy of being in the UFC, TUF would be a decent testing ground. He has not proved himself worthy of being in the UFC (IMHO - elite MMA status) in his other "fights", especially with that last showing that resulted in him being knocked out in 14 seconds.

Would I want to be him (or any 30+ y.o. guy) in that house with a bunch of young 20 somethings who are still getting through their juvenile delinquency issues (seems like there are a couple in each house) -- hell no! But if he wants to continue his career in MMA and get to the UFC, TUF gives some crash-course training from excellent fighters (whether they are good coaches or not, remains to be seen), it gives the new fighter a couple of good fights with good exposure, and it is not a bad place to start.

Do I think Kimbo WOULD do it? No f'n way.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Everyone says kimbo makes MMA look like a joke but everyone watches The Ultimate Fighter. I just had a friend try out and he was specifically told they do not care about how good of a fighter you are but how entertaining you are.....that is not what is best for making this sport legitimate.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Celio Silva

Profile:

Another BRILLIANT business move by Dana! He got everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose.

If Kimbo fails the show Dana cements his bragging rights about Slice not being any good. If he wins the show he'll become even more popular and help drive the UFC explosion further. In either case, just by joining the show he'll drive rates through the roof!