CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Rafael Garcia

Profile:
Starting Strenght Program 2º Edition + practical programming + WODS

Sorry if its repeated. I have searched but i haven't found nothing about it.

I have read recently an interview to Mark Rippetoe about Strength Training and his books.

http://aasgaardco.com/tacpr/?page_id=114

Resuming, he said that strength training with barbells is the absolutely base for everything. Not only for CrossFit, but other disciplines or sports. The more strength you are, the better you will perform in CF.

But i still don't understand how to mix a Starting Strength Program (and later an intermediate and advance program) with the WODs he is writing at the main web page.

I mean, my question is not only how to mix. Is about how Mark explain how to mix them.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 08-19-2008 at 05:19 AM..
Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Starting Strenght Program 2º Edition + practical programming + WODS

The link above is wfs.

The WODs on the CrossFit main page are for CrossFit. Starting Strength is its own program.

Many people do a hybrid called Maximum Effort Black Box (you can search for this on the boards).

Other people are doing the (wfs) hybrid program created by Gant Grimes which incorporates a lot of what you are looking for.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
The link above is wfs.

The WODs on the CrossFit main page are for CrossFit. Starting Strength is its own program.

Many people do a hybrid called Maximum Effort Black Box (you can search for this on the boards).

Other people are doing the (wfs) hybrid program created by Gant Grimes which incorporates a lot of what you are looking for.
thank you very much for your information.

i have read a lot about "Maximum Effort Black Box" and "Gant Grimes Hybrid Program". Well, i have to continue reading and studying them :-)

but my questions are:

1º.- ¿Are both systems "approbed" my Mark Rippetoe?
2º.- ¿Are there some guidelines from Mark of how can we mix this two programs?
2º.- Who are the credentials of Gant and the results of this program on his students?

thank you in advance
Old 08-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

I'm not Gant, but I'll take a stab.

1. No. Rippetoe recommends "do the f***ing program", i.e., SS. If you are truly a novice, don't do anything else but SS for at least several weeks, if you wish to get maximum benefit (i.e., strength). Add maybe one WOD per week after several weeks, something like Cindy (body weight exercises), and reevaluate for continued progress. If you mix SS with the WOD, you will not be likely to achieve max strength gains because of lack of recovery from the lifting.

2. None that I'm aware of except as noted above.

3. Gant's hybrid program may work for you. His cred is that he works out at Rippetoe's gym, but moreso, that he is a great experimenter on himself and does a great job of logging, evaluating, and tweaking his program(s), and seems to really zero in on what works, for him, and within the context of his goals. Read Gant's log and the aforementioned "Gant's Hybrid" thread to find out people's experiences with his program.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Derek Franks

Profile:

Rafael,
I'm not sure if it's just a translation issue, but you seem to think that Rippetoe is responsible for the Crossfit WOD's. Just to be clear, that is not true. Coach Glassman runs/owns Crossfit. Crossfit and Starting Strength are separate programs with different goals.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
thank you very much for your information.

i have read a lot about "Maximum Effort Black Box" and "Gant Grimes Hybrid Program". Well, i have to continue reading and studying them :-)

but my questions are:

1º.- ¿Are both systems "approbed" my Mark Rippetoe?
2º.- ¿Are there some guidelines from Mark of how can we mix this two programs?
2º.- Who are the credentials of Gant and the results of this program on his students?

thank you in advance
I'm not sure what "approbed" is supposed to mean, but Mark Rippetoe does run a CF facility out of his commercial gym in Wichita Falls.

He would be the last person to tell you to mix the two programs. If you want to get stronger, get stronger (SS). if you want to get fit, get fit (CF). If you want to burn out and get half the results, mix the two programs. If you want to get solid results, Hybrid or MEBB (I guess the original hybrid) are good ways to go... notice the reduced training volume compared to SS+CF.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I'm not sure what "approbed" is supposed to mean, but Mark Rippetoe does run a CF facility out of his commercial gym in Wichita Falls.

He would be the last person to tell you to mix the two programs.
Actually, he does make a recommendation on how to mix them.. after the first few weeks, add a metcon on an off day.. after a few more weeks add another metcon on the other off day.. that's it.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not sure what "approbed" is supposed to mean

I'm going with "approved", as a typo ("v" and "b" are next to each other on the keyboard), committed by a new member, for whom English isn't his native language.

But I'm in a forgiving mood tonight.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Ahhhhh... thanks David. I had a little tunnel vision on that one and didn't realize English wasn't his first language. That explains the question marks....

Apologies to our thread starter and David for having to check me.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Ahhhhh... thanks David. I had a little tunnel vision on that one and didn't realize English wasn't his first language. That explains the question marks....

Apologies to our thread starter and David for having to check me.
yes, as you can see, english is not my native language, so i commit lot of faults :-). Anyway, i am trying to do my best.

Thank you very much for your information. I would like to mix both, but i am noticing that for a professional worker (5 days x 8 hours per day working + 8 hours for sleeping + 5 x 1.5 hours Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), is difficult to find time to improve in both areas, CF and strength training. I will try to continue with wods and in the future i will try to enter a period for specific strength training.

Its even difficult to practise only wods because if you do them before the BJJ class, you enter almost burned out, and if you live it after the class, you dont have your body prepared for a workout that demands lot of energy.

I am in the moment that i dont know what to do at all :-). anyway, thank you very much for your information :-)