CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Christian Groenveld

Profile:
Box Jumps

So I know this isn't an exercise that gets many posts and it's been a good two years since the last relevant post I could find, but...How are people performing their box jumps? Full extension at the top of the box? Full extenion on the jump off? Or are they performed springing off the floor onto the box and quickly springing off the box to basically get on and off of the box as fast as you can?

I personally like the second way better b/c I feel like I am working harder to jump on and off the box as fast as I can. This seems to me like a more explosive movement to bounce off of the floor and then bounce right off of the box while at the same time regaining some agility I once had!

I bring it up b/c I see in some videos, but not all, that there should be full hip extension when on top of the box. I tried this out and it didn't seem like a harder workout, it just took longer to do the reps. Can anyone explain if either method is better than the other? What about in something like FGB...do I need to stand up straight on top of the box for a rep to count?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
David Ristau

Profile:
Re: Box Jumps

I do a jump with full extension at the top and have to step down after a just a few box jumps. My ankles do not like the landing from any good box jump height, something to do with getting old, weight and past injuries catching up with me.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Sean Kufel

Profile:

I always do full extension on top of the box, otherwise it doesn't count. Especially in FGB; no padding numbers with muted hip function. Personally, I have to step down from the box, but I don't do them that fast anyway. If you can jump down every time, I say power to you.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I do them about once a week. There's a bench at the local school track that's about the right height. I most often work them into intervals to the tune of 20 or 30 per round.

As for form, I only recently ran across the full exntesion at the top guideline. I've only done them that way once so it's still new to me. What I'd been doing was jumping on and off with both feet, minus the full extionsion. I thought that was enough of a suckfest but I'm doing them the right way as well. Sometimes.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kufel View Post
Personally, I have to step down from the box, but I don't do them that fast anyway. If you can jump down every time, I say power to you.
I can't keep up the up-down rhythm for a full FGB round, but when I rest, it's usually on top of the box. That way, when I'm actually doing a plyo jump at the bottom, where the rebound from loading/unloading of the muscle helps with the jump. In later rounds, I'll sometimes rest at the bottom, if I'm concerned about actually getting the feet back on the box. (This usually follows a botched or nearly botched jump.) Thinking of the jump as starting atop the box and being a rebound back up also is a good mindset for ensuring proper hip extension.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
I can't keep up the up-down rhythm for a full FGB round, but when I rest, it's usually on top of the box. That way, when I'm actually doing a plyo jump at the bottom, where the rebound from loading/unloading of the muscle helps with the jump. In later rounds, I'll sometimes rest at the bottom, if I'm concerned about actually getting the feet back on the box. (This usually follows a botched or nearly botched jump.) Thinking of the jump as starting atop the box and being a rebound back up also is a good mindset for ensuring proper hip extension.
That makes a lot of sense. I shall copy your approach.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Full extension at the top of the box and springing off the floor onto the box and quickly springing off the box to basically get on and off of the box as fast as you can. If I/we don't do full extension at the top we get yelled at by Tony and or Jodi.

Now mind you the springing part only lasts so long before it becomes painful hurl the body up and then jump down.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
Chris Walls

Profile:

Well at my affiliate as long as you fully extend the hips on top the box it counts. If that comes from a Jump onto the box, stand up, step down, or jump on, and jump off (where the jump off is due to explosively extending the hip on top the box to go fast). I prefer the jump on and off the box, I find I can go really fast (<1 sec per complete rep) while ensuring I get full extension on the box (even if it's what propels me off the box).

Last edited by Chris Walls; 07-04-2008 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 07-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
Justin Gross

Profile:

At my cert, in addition to hip extension, they wanted heels on the box.