CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Alex Rosch

Profile:
Winter Training (like -20C or -4F)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience training with rather cold equipment that would be found in an unheated garage in the middle of a Canadian winter.
I was thinking heat tape on a timer set to go off maybe 30mins before I go out there...wrap the wired equipment in a blanket to insulate (where possible).
It's not the cold that's the problem...but the fact that my barbells, KBs and PU bar are all going to all be -20C (or -4F).
There's a space heater out there for the air-temp.
I suppose I could wear gloves/mitts...but I don't want to be snatching my pr when the bar rips outta my hands (a miss is one thing, but I don't think I'd have a safe sense of the bar in my hands...) Mind you, I think that I could do something with gloves/mitts on the PU bar, as I think that a heat tape cord running up the side of my power rack will be a PITA. My duct-tape sand-filled med-ball would be especially fun in fleece gloves

Any thoughts?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Re: Winter Training (like -20C or -4F)

Do you plan your own workouts, or do the WOD's as posted? If you plan your own, you could bring tomorrow's equipment into the house today, and truck it back out there tomorrow, when you need it.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
David Ristau

Profile:

Two words ~ space heater! There are a number of different options here from the old junkers, to new sealed units. Turn it on {or more than one if needed} an hour before your work out or time it as needed. Are you also using the garage as a garage? If not, seal up the garage door to stop drafts. If you are still using it, an old wool blanket or canvas tarp placed as a curtain will help with the drafts and keep the place warm.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:

First, my workouts are a bit different. Crossfit is more intense cardio wise and temps you can handle would likely be even lower. That said, for me air temp wise down to 30 didn't make much difference. Down to 20 was somewhat detrimental. Below 20 had a definite negative affect on the workout. I plan to add a heater this winter.

For the bars, thats another story. Cold bars, equipment suck on the hands. I thought of electric strips and electric blankets, but never really got around to trying them. I was able with a lot of lifts, military press, bench, squat, to wear MUCH heavier gloves (actually mittens) than I expected. Heavy leather with thick wool lining. I wore them during all warmups, lighter weights of snatches, all weights of the above and didn't notice any negitive affect. Obviously some lifts it isn't possible, then I found mechanics gloves helped. Occasionally I'd go bare for a max. The key is to make it quick and get them back in the heavy mittens. I also experimented with some success with hand warmers, but need more experimenting before I can really say.

Also, my warmup is crossfit/parisi and mma inspired, but in cold, below 40f I found a few minutes on the airdyne, before starting anything else, is helpful.

Last edited by Roger Smith; 10-21-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Kevin: I work a few months behind the WOD...taking a stuff inside is a PITA as it's my neighbour's garage (but my equipment)...I come home after a night-shift and everyone is still sleeping...so making my way out the door with the bar/KBs is an option, but I'd like a lazier way
David: I'll have to try to seal an area off...that's a GREAT idea, as the neighbour is a mechanic, and that would not only keep the heat in the WOD area, it would also keep it clean!
Roger: Good to know that the heavy gloves/mitts work ok...I'll but another pair as I'm not willing to damage (or get all chalky inside) my Black-Diamond Mercury II s. (great mittens, BTW...$80 @ mec).

Some good ideas...thanks guys! I'm glad I asked.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I've got the same problem, except only in Michigan. I'm planning on bringing people in (especially new clients) and kinda want it to be at least 50 degrees minimum in there, preferably 60. I've got one of those propane space heaters, but it really screws up the air quality (carbon monoxide out the butt), I've felt lightheaded and woozy after doing a workout with that thing on for just a little bit.

I've actually been considering buying a wood stove and just keeping that puppy burning, but who knows.

Also the other problem I've got is, only the walls are insulated, I haven't been able to put insulation up on the roof yet, and I'm NOT looking forward to that job one bit.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
I've got the same problem, except only in Michigan. I'm planning on bringing people in (especially new clients) and kinda want it to be at least 50 degrees minimum in there, preferably 60. I've got one of those propane space heaters, but it really screws up the air quality (carbon monoxide out the butt), I've felt lightheaded and woozy after doing a workout with that thing on for just a little bit.

I've actually been considering buying a wood stove and just keeping that puppy burning, but who knows.

Also the other problem I've got is, only the walls are insulated, I haven't been able to put insulation up on the roof yet, and I'm NOT looking forward to that job one bit.
Hmmm... I'm installing a propane heater into my workout area as well, and didn't realize CM would be such a problem. Are there CM air filters? Maybe I could plant a few trees....
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
David Ristau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post

Insulation and ventilation! Biggest return on your investment, if done properly {even a little half-a!@##} it will be a lot more comfortable than what you now have. Take a look at some of the sealed oil heaters, I've used them before {I used to live in Ottawa, Ontario and went cottage/trailer camping in the winter} and they can be a god send, only problem is the electricity they can eat up.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Hmmm... I'm installing a propane heater into my workout area as well, and didn't realize CM would be such a problem. Are there CM air filters? Maybe I could plant a few trees....
I think it's more because it's so much CM being thrown into the air in such a short time. I dunno. The garage was closed up, except for the eave vents under the side of the roof, and it was only run for a little bit at a time (like a few minutes), this puppy heated up the entire 600+ sq-ft garage in just a few minutes.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Tim Klein

Profile:

I use a parabolic space heater I got at Costco to get the air warmed up, but your bar, kettlebells, etc. are not comfortable to use without gloves. I've got some fleece gloves that have a rubberized hand and finger pads. They also have a velcro strap across the wrist that I snug down tightly to keep them on. I don't remember where I got them, but it was probably an Army surplus store or something like that. I have to be a bit careful on more violent lifts and near the end of my workout to keep from losing my grip (or my gloves!), but it's not too bad.

My garage stays in the mid 20's to mid 30's most of the winter but it gets down to single digits for a week or so at a time at least a couple times a year. Still, I much prefer my winter workouts to the mid to upper 90's that I suffer through in the summer!

Your heat tape idea sounds interesting. I may give that a try if it's not too expensive. I'm getting some rubber bumpers here soon and I'm a little concerned about how they'll react to the cold.

---
Tim