CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Just thought some of you might be interested in what we're doing in the Army with MMA. A program has been developed called Modern Army Combatives. Here are a couple of links to check out.

https://www.infantry.army.mil/combatives/

http://www.moderncombatives.org/pages/1/index.htm
Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
That's really great to see! They should have an MMA based program for all soldiers.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
". . .the winner of the hand-to-hand fight in combat is the one whose buddy shows up first with a gun."

I believe this. This is why you always have to be careful in extending too far the capabilities of what you do.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Neal,

It is for every soldier in the Army. They are getting it now in Basic Training as well as the Army's NCO Education System. Also the units ususally do it about once a week or so. The Chief of Staff of the Army said that every soldier will have the traning before they deploy.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Joseph Hart

Profile:
The USMC has thier own version too. I don't see the Navy or Air Force coming around anytime soon.

Here is the link to the Corps'

http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/TbsNew/Pages...ts/default.htm

Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Awesome program. I've been through the level I and II instructors courses at the comabtives school at FT Benning and they were some of the best Army courses I've taken. Huge improvement over previous hand to hand training. When I was in Basic back in '95 the Drill Sergeants actually taught us to leave our arm fully extended for 1 second after a punch(we had to count off "one thousand" before pulling the fist back) so that "all the energy transfers to the opponent." A couple of the instructors down at the combatives school are crossfitters, and one is talking about setting up an affiliate when he retires.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Yeah I've been through Levels I & II at Benning and was set for III but some things came up. Can't wait to go. Which instructors are Crossfitters?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
SSGs Bach and Ford were the guys I talked to, but I think there are one or two others as well.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Anthony Persi

Profile:  
Joseph, I highly doubt you will ever see the AF teaching h2h combat. The truth is, if I need to fight someone on the ground, I've pretty much already done my job wrong somewhere. Besides, that's why we have you hard workers taking care of us :-) There are so many things wrong with AF fitness as it is, I can't imagine them trying to get us in a self defense class. Most of the people we have now already have issues passing the PT test. I'd hate to see the amount of heart attacks we would have should there be any real physical training involved. I'm just glad the bike test is gone now and the AF is starting to get a little more serious. The new test is much better, we're coming along, but slowly.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Chris,
Bach and Ford were my instructors. I was at Level II 23 Jan to 3 Feb 06. Were we in the same class?

Anthony,

There were actually two AF SP's in my Level II class. The school has had some SEALS ask for the training too. I actually live on an AFB and I agree with you that they are seemingly getting a little more serious. They're getting ready to test weapons proficiency around here. As an Army guy it's pretty interestig to me.