CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Eric Cohen

Profile:
I saw this in a travel magazine the other day. I'm trying to get my younger sisters into shape, and this article said it'd only make it worse if I tell them to exercise with me; considering they're not in shape. What should I do to convince them?

IMO, I think it's stupid to not tell someone, but I'm no head shrink.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
As far as family members go, it's a judgment call. This type of thread has been bounced around a lot and the general feeling has always been to basically lead by example and don't force them. Express the positive bennefits of working out but don't belittle or bully. And from a guys perspective, women will close up quick and shut you out big time if you push them into a routine that they are not ready for.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Oh yeah, serious thin ice around the family, if they want it they will do it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Justin Algera

Profile:
I belittle and bully...My wife and I were both fat and know what it takes to motivate each other. Sure people are unique, but the sad fact is the nice and cuddly approach rarely works. You would be surprised at how the whole idea of breaking someone down to build them back up and getting someone so mad at you is a very strong motivation to change.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Judge your audience....some don't like being told anything and want to think it was "their idea" (lead by example and show them results are attainable)...or some need tough love (people that feel sorry for themselves or make constant excuses), don't give into their pity party and tell them that they need to think positive and take action if they want to get any better.

and sometimes it's just a mix of the above...just don't put people on the defensive, cause once that wall goes up they don't hear a word you say.

Either way...it's always about trying to do what you believe is best for someone, so nothing wrong with having strong convictions.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
You would be surprised at how the whole idea of breaking someone down to build them back up and getting someone so mad at you is a very strong motivation to change.

Ha, Justin that works in the military world where you have a bunch of young, green, scared fresh faced 18yr old babies but not always in the civilian world when you are dealing with full grown obstinate adults. The objective may not be achieved when all you get is a bunch of off people. If those people happen to be family members it can get pretty sticky. Especially if what they see you doing does'nt fit their traditional idea of working out. My wife told me flat out that (quote)"if I think I'm going to have her jumping off of boxes and crawling around on the floor like some sort of animal, I must be smoking crack!" (unquote). I did not even get a chance to tell her about some of the other froms of exercises that she can at least try and start out with. She was basing my whole program on a few observances of some of my more radical routines. Her mind was made up even before I could suggest to her to try some of what I was doing. Like I said, women can shut you down,especially the more strong willed ones. In my case I don't push because I still want to eat nice hot meals and ect, ect, ect.:lol:
Old 11-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Eric Cohen

Profile:
Well the situation is I used to be pretty over weight, was about 202 lbs, summer 2005. My younger sisters are a little chubby and have been called names and stuff. They say they want to get in shape and the workouts I wanna start them on are just slow hikes. When I ask them to come with me they just act like they're in a bubble. I've been trying to do this in a stern but reasonable and friendly manner, saying things like "It'd make me feel good to hang out with my younger sisters" etc. Also telling them that all the carbs they load on is gonna lead them to getting bigger (they snack on my protein shakes some time cause it taste good).

I'm just gonna not interfere anymore till they ask or mention something.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I tell my clients the absolute truth...and let them come to the conclusion on what to do...like:

You don't need all those carbs..you don't burn them
You will not lose weight unless you fix your eating first
You want to burn fat all day...not just during a workout
Interval intense training will help you burn fat all day, steady state cardio will not

Just say it and walk away...if they are serious about wanting results they will come back for more.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
My friend and I got his mom to the gym. It was pre-meditated and she has some health problems and her doctor told her to exercise more, but she wasn't. I told her we were gonna work out for a few minutes and then sit in the hot tub afterwards and would she like to sit in the hot tub? Then we got her on the elliptical and both got on machines near her for support, and we made sure to go moderately so we wouldn't look like we were dying, which would surely be a deterrent. We only worked out for about 10 minutes or so, and then afterwards when we were chillin' in the jacuzzi I helped her process all the (positive and negative) emotions that came up and come up with a workout plan. Then we went out to eat healthy, tasty food. We also gave her some fun mix tapes to work out to with music she actually liked.

She's not a crossfitter but has been very consistent, started incorporating weights into her workouts, and she's lost a lot of weight and looks and feels much better.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Allison Barns

Profile:
Peter,
You are a wise man. I can see why you are still able to eat nice hot meals, etc, etc. :wink:

Eric,
How old are your little sisters? Depending on their ages I would think that going solely with the "I want to spend time with you" is the way to go. Harping on their food is very likely NOT the best tactic!