CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Ben Roble

Profile:
hey guys. Thanks so much for the help and ideas so far. I do feel like I've gotten stonger over the last month or so and I feel like I can almost make through a work-out without puking (although today's was close).

Just a couple quick thoughts/questions:

1 - When you guys talked about doing shoulder dislocates, do you just kinda stand in a room and do it while watching tv or something. It's not really a "workout" correct?

2 - this may sound like a newbie trying to get more equipment, but I've read that running shoes are bad for squats and related exercises (crossfit journal) since they're squidgey (sp?). What do you guys do on days where the workout incorporates running and squat style lifts?

3 - I can say that I feel like i've got a lot more energy than I think I've ever had. And, I think that a lot of the muscles I'm working have NEVER been worked before (particularly by the O-lifts). I've noticed that I'm a little twitchy/over-energized since I started. Anyone else have that happen? It's like the muscles in my lower back and around my neck are a little too full of energy/tired/freaked out by what has happened to them and they twitch around a little sometimes. I mean considering that when I started I couldn't do 1 pull-up at all without almost 80% assist and now I've done more than I've done in my entire life, the muscles around the top of my back are a little terrified of what's happening.

But seriously, if anyone has any ideas what to do to help these things (stretch, massage, etc) would love some ideas. I like that they're tired and(although this may sound odd) I like that they kinda freak out every once in a while. But I don't want to be injured and I owuldn't know necessarily if I am. They don't hurt at all so I figure I'm not.

Anyway, thanks for everything so far. It's been a great month and change so far. Sorry if my spelling is bad. I just got back from ym workout and I'm gassed.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
Ben

I would bet the "twitch" your feeling has to do with new nueral path's being established/awakened or muscle's that have not been used much getting much needed work.

Like you said if it doesn't hurt I doubt it is an injury.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Ben,

Shoulder dislocates - take a broom stick or a length of PVC and hold it in a snatch grip. To get the snatch grip figured out, if you've got a mirror or a buddy to watch you, your grip should be wide enough that when you hold the bar over your head, it should have about 6" of clearance

If you don't have a mirror or buddy, a rough way to figure it out is that the space between the bar, your elbows, and your body should make a rectangle.

Starting with the bar in front of your body raise it over your head and behind your back until it touches your butt, then reverse and repeat as needed.

Note - If you haven't worked it much you may have to start with a very wide grip. Then as your flexibility improves you'll be able to move your hands in closer together.

Shoes: This is going to come down to personnel preference. Some people workout barefoot as much as possible. Others like minimal support so they wear something like the Nike Frees. Others wear Chucks. Some will not do any of the Olympic lifts in anything other than lifting shoes (Adidas seems to be the favored variety). Others like to find a nice neutral shoe that they can use for all the activities. Search in Equipment for more ideas on shoes.

Muscle twitches - low potassium??? Medical is going to be the best place to get some answers on that one.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Shoulder dislocates: what Eric said, I do them pre-workout as part of an Active Stretching/Joint Mobility program.

Squatting shoes: They have them. I don't. You could go barefoot, Nike Frees, Olympic Lifting shoes, Chuck Taylor's, or construction boots. Running shoes do not cut it.