CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #11
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Re: Krav maga or Jiu-Jistu: which should I take?

BJJ is fun also if you want to supplement your Krav training or compete in tourneyments. Check them both out if you want to.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Yael Grauer

Profile:

If you ever decide to do BJJ, the Tucson Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy f'in' rocks! Best $150/month I've ever spent. Also there are some good krav places I hear; I have friends who train at Ultima. They have BJJ there too (and the coach is really cool) and will probably let you sit in on both classes to see which is more up your ally.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Valerie Worthington

Profile:

Sigh. I train BJJ and love it. I do CrossFit and love it. I wish I had the time and energy to do Krav too. There's always so much more to learn! Good luck.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #14
David Bott

Profile:

Um he said Jiu Jitsu.... not BRAZILLIAN Jiu Jitsu. In which case the two forms shouldn't be radically different from one another... as far as I know. Good Jiu Jitsu is about practical self defense and not sport fighting. From what little I have seen of KM on youtube (as there are no classes offered where I live) the two styles seem to essentially be seeking the same thing... just one is Japanese and one is ...err... Middle Eastern?? Please correct me if I'm wrong, like I said I know very little about KM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Yael Grauer

Profile:

I've seen blue belts in BJJ tap out black belts in Japanese JJ really easily... I don't think something is good "practical self defense" if your opponent needs to stay perfectly still in order for a technique to actually work.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #16
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are VERY different animals. JJJ involves a lot of standup, throws, TMA type striking, weapons training, etc. The ground game is very rudimentary compared to BJJ.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
David Bott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I've seen blue belts in BJJ tap out black belts in Japanese JJ really easily... I don't think something is good "practical self defense" if your opponent needs to stay perfectly still in order for a technique to actually work.
There are poor JJJ schools out there, the same as with any style. And there is absolutely no reason why an opponent needs to stand perfectly still for things to work. To begin with sure, people have to learn the technique/principles involved, but if you're saying you watch blackbelts and up needing a partner to stand perfectly still, then there is something wrong with that school.... a technique usually WONT work if the opponent is still, especially if they are on balance, which means they are still stable and strong.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #18
David Bott

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are VERY different animals. JJJ involves a lot of standup, throws, TMA type striking, weapons training, etc. The ground game is very rudimentary compared to BJJ.
I meant the two forms as in JJJ and KM. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #19
Ryan Gregory

Profile:

Everything comes down to the school, and your take to it.
I trained in Karate years ago, and didn't like it at all; partially because it's just Karate, and some because of the school.
I've been training in Muay Thai and BJJ for a little while now, both at the same school, and it's awesome!
There's no workout quite like a hour of full out fighting - in BJJ you get to go 100%, stopping right before anything snaps or they tap.

Unfortunately BJJ has been put on the back burner as I can't afford any injuries right now, and in BJJ they're easy to come by!
While I've never trained in traditional JJ or Krav, I hear nothing but great things about both, and look forward to trying Krav in the future! My understanding is that it's no bulls**t self-defence.

Long story short - a good fighter is a well-rounded fighter. Pick something you like to do. Do it for a while, and then try something else, and see how you can cross train them...
Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #20
David Bittner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post
Everything comes down to the school, and your take to it.
I trained in Karate years ago, and didn't like it at all; partially because it's just Karate, and some because of the school.
I've been training in Muay Thai and BJJ for a little while now, both at the same school, and it's awesome!
There's no workout quite like a hour of full out fighting - in BJJ you get to go 100%, stopping right before anything snaps or they tap.

Unfortunately BJJ has been put on the back burner as I can't afford any injuries right now, and in BJJ they're easy to come by!
While I've never trained in traditional JJ or Krav, I hear nothing but great things about both, and look forward to trying Krav in the future! My understanding is that it's no bulls**t self-defence.

Long story short - a good fighter is a well-rounded fighter. Pick something you like to do. Do it for a while, and then try something else, and see how you can cross train them...
I agree, years ago I would not have thught about taking TKD, but we put our kids in as a sport and found the school to be AWESOME! So much that my wife and I also joined. The owner is well rounded an versed in other MA's and not one bit afraid of teaching them. He also lets those of us with other experience to bring them to the table. However if you find a good Krav school in a life or death Krav is combat proven.