CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
Mike Saxton

Profile:
Crossfit for seniors?

My father recently had surgery for planter fasciitis for a second time. The first time he was down for a while, and this time he will be to. He just turned 66, is a RET. Army COL, and cardiovascular wise in great shape. However, his diet sucks, he's over weight, and sitting on the couch watching his DVR for another 6 weeks doesn't help the issue. I was wondering if any body had any recommendations for me to pass on to him. While the WOD are far over his head, and not really what he needs, Im looking for any suggestions mostly for upper body workouts with minimal standing that will help him get out of the house. I could run him through a typical uppers workout, but the ideas I get on here are far better than mine usually. Thanks everyone.

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Nicole Gibson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit for seniors?

Sorry no one got back to your post sooner! Hopefully you'll see this.

I just got my 66 year old father and 53 year old mother to do CrossFit at their local CF in Alexandria, VA. It took some time but I slowly convinced them to give it a try. I was lucky in that the CF instructor was great with them and helped them get adapted the first couple weeks. Remember that CF is completely scalable so your dad should be able to do the workouts no problem. He may do one less round or a lighter weight or sub an exercise but he can do Fran and Barbara and all that good stuff.

My dad was coming back from knee surgery and he subs stuff all the time. The important thing is that he's doing it AND he really enjoys it.

If your Dad has a CF gym I would go and talk to the head trainer there before you try and take your Dad. Give them a little heads up!

It took me 3 months of hinting, describing, providing articles, convincing, and reconning to get my parents to go but once they went they were hooked!

Last edited by Nicole Gibson; 09-24-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Adam Stevenson

Profile:

My father is also retired ARMY and in a similar situation. 62, bad diet no exercise aside from work. I put him on the ZONE and he adapted really well. He went from 240 to 207 in a couple months. Then I had him start working on pushups until he could do 25 in a row. Then I had him come visit and put him through a pushup/jumping pullup/running WOD. Now he is hooked just got his fundamentals done with CrossFit Tucson. He says he feels 20 years younger from the diet alone.

Diet is key! Get the Col. on the Zone!
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s11_2006/a.jpg

Last edited by Adam Stevenson; 09-26-2008 at 08:30 AM..
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
David Ristau

Profile:

I have a group of ladies that are all over fifty, and everybody has something wrong with their bodies, including planter fasciitis, knee replacement {one with both replaced}, hip replacement, backs, shoulder issues, leaky valve, etc. I have them doing x-fit style workouts that are structured / scaled to their abilities. Some things I do not do with the ladies is no impact {skipping, box jumps, etc}, and no fast running. One thing is that I can not walk into a session with a hard plan, the ability to be very flexible is the key.

The key to helping your father out would be to get him started with what he is comfortable doing right now and then slowly adding to the list. Planter fasciitis can be a slow one to recover from, don't push it and some day's will be better than others.

Let us know his progress.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Delita Wright

Profile:

After my planter fasciitis surgery, once I was cleared for the (globo) gym, I started using rowing for aerobic and learned to love it. Still love it. It's not just aerobic anymore! Best workout you can do seated, and not just for sick people. ;-) The company that makes the rowers will send you a free training DVD and logbook, check their website.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I'm so glad you posted this. My parents have asked me to start training them and I'm a bit nervous. My dad is pretty strong and won't present much of a challenge, but my mom has had both hips replaced and only does water aerobics and extremely gentle yoga.

Any thoughts on using the rower with replaced hips?

Also, I'd like her to do something along the lines of squats, but I'm thinking that the leg press is going to be about as good as it gets. Anyone have experience with hip replacement?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Mike,

There are quite a number of us doing CF (or new to it, as I am) who are in their 50s (I'm 57) or older. This is the most radical, fun, and ***t-kicking program I have ever undertaken. I'll be scaling my workouts for some time, but that't the beauty of CF - - anyone can scale a workout to their needs, ages, and levels of proficiency.

Sara,

I don't know much about hip replacements, but I can tell you that rowing presents very smooth, fluid (no pun intended) movements to the participant. It also allows full range of motion to the knees and hips with very low impact. The person rowing can also, depending on their level of fitness, exert as much force as desired with their legs - - the more force and faster the person rows, the harder the workout.

Perhaps someone viewing this thread can provide a bit more "physiological" explanation, but I seen a couple of hip-replacement recipients using the rower @ my globogym with good results.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate the input. For some reason its easy to be confident with clients, but my parents are a whole 'nother ball of wax . .
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
David Ristau

Profile:

Sara, personally I don't like the leg-press machines. Mainly the angles they place your body at and the poor feet-knee-hip positioning it generates. Try him on air squats or lunges, let him use a dowel for support and the range of motion will not be that great. With confidence, increased flexibility and strength the range of motion should increase. Take it slow, simple rule of thumb "if it hurts, stop". Also, bring in the expertise of a good physical therapist to give you some positioning cues, specific stretches and other hip exercises {I know there are some, but can not think of them at the moment}. One thing to avoid, is impact exercises {skipping, oly-lifting, box jumps, etc}.

Take it easy with him, and treat him like any other client {I know, challenging...}.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I agree with you on the leg press, I'm nervous about doing incomplete squats and I don't know if they have the strength/flexibility to get fully parallel. Although without weight, it may not be as much of an issue? I do like the dowel idea, I use it myself when I'm doing one-legged squats. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

SAra