CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 AM   #11
Stephen Baker

Profile:
Re: Pectoral rupture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Matulonis View Post
Stephen I am going through the same thing right now but tore my pec. where it attaches to my shoulder. It has been almost two months and I cannot to a pushup, benchpress etc. The only way to fix it is surgery which should be scheduled within the next month. The good thing with crossfit is I am still able to train my core. Doing a lot of back exten., ab work, lunges, squats etc. The Dr. said I was looking at up to a 6 month recovery till I get the 100% nod to do everything prior to surgey. Let me know how you make out and I will do the same. Was very discouraged at first but i know i will have one strong core by the time this is done. Hope everything works out and try to stay positive.

Had surgery on Friday. A few days of massive discomfort, going crazy sitting around the house, and I'm starting pt today. I had to do this. Non-operative recovery was not an option. The loss of strength and flexion was too much to sacrafice. It'll be 4 to 6 months, but I'll be back at it almost 100%.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Good luck with the recovery. Im surprised you are starting PT so early. My Dr. told me it would be approx. 6 weeks of no mobility before I started pt. Hopefully will be able to schedule the surgery soon, tired of not being able to do push-ups, pullups etc... Let me know how the recovery goes and what I'm up against. Stay Strong.....
Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Good luck with the recovery. Im surprised you are starting PT so early. My Dr. told me it would be approx. 6 weeks of no mobility before I started pt. Hopefully will be able to schedule the surgery soon, tired of not being able to do push-ups, pullups etc... Let me know how the recovery goes and what I'm up against. Stay Strong.....
Mike,
I actually have decent mobility. The biggest problem with immobility was the swelling and freezing up of my elbow, and extreme tightness in by biceps.

I'm only doing passive movement, the pt is moving the shoulder. My external rotation is bareley to neutral when lying on my back and pinning my elbow pinned to my ribs.

She gave me some really elementary movements to do several times per day and my motion and strength is already getting better. They're also giving me electric-stem and ice afterward.

I am very happy I got the surgery. A week later and the pain is lessening every day. ROM is still ****, but it'll get better. Get the surgery ASAP! You'll be happy you did... Never thought I'd say that.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Thanks for the advice and info. I just got of the phone with the Dr's office today and I am looking at mid-october for a surgery date. Not soon enough for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Do a google search for pectoal repture. You'll find a ton of good stuff. They have the technology. They can rebuild you.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #16
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Just an update:
As a testament to CrossFit, I'm in week 3 of rehab pt, and the therapist can't understand how I've gotten my range of motion and strength back so fast considering the severity of the injury. I'm about 3 weeks ahead, and am already cleared to do some light cable extensions for triceps. My arm still looks like a 12 year old girl's compared to my good one, but it's good progress.

The goal: 100 push ups on Christmas morning. I might just make it 101 for good measure.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Good to see you are progressing well. I finally have my surgery scheduled for Nov.5th. Hopefully I recover as well as you did.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Mike,
I hope everything goes well today. Keep me posted.
S
Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Mike Matulonis

Profile:

Had the labrum scoped and pec repaired. You are right when you said massive discomfort for a couple day's. Spent the night due to late surgery time and a ton of pain. I pride myself on having a high tolerence for pain and this kicked my ***. Can't wait to jump into pt and start the road to recovery. I will keep you posted on my progress. Good luck with the push-ups. I predict 105.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #20
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Had the labrum scoped and pec repaired. You are right when you said massive discomfort for a couple day's. Spent the night due to late surgery time and a ton of pain. I pride myself on having a high tolerence for pain and this kicked my ***. Can't wait to jump into pt and start the road to recovery. I will keep you posted on my progress. Good luck with the push-ups. I predict 105.
FYI. My doctor hates me. That makes me feel good. Means I'll do just fine as far as I'm concerned. Got a couple of dead hang pull ups the other day. Also a couple of light thrusters for good measure. All of this is against medical advice, of course.