CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
Rafael Garcia

Profile:
Re: Push & Jerk technique problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Correct form is between a front squat rack and a shoulder press rack. Elbows ARE largely down and the bar is in the palm of the hand (not the fingers), but it's still sitting on the shoulders. To do this you'll need to be able to push your shoulders forward enough to hold the bar while still getting your hand onto it.
thank you for your advices. I will have to work on my wrist flexibility, because right now, picturing your advice, i event cant hold the bar with my fingers :-)
Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 AM   #12
Steven Crawford

Profile:
Re: Jerk hand positioning

I know this is an old thread, but it touches pretty closely on what I wanted to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Correct form is between a front squat rack and a shoulder press rack. Elbows ARE largely down and the bar is in the palm of the hand (not the fingers), but it's still sitting on the shoulders. To do this you'll need to be able to push your shoulders forward enough to hold the bar while still getting your hand onto it.
Until recently, I had been doing the same thing as the OP. After I cleaned, I'd completely reposition my grip so the bar was completely in my palms and my elbows were pretty much pointing straight down. I found it VERY hard to jerk from this position.

After watching a few (more) videos, I realised that people don't regrip in the rack position, and most are able to start the jerk with the bar just in the fingers. I've started doing this and it's feel much much better. So I have two questions:

1. Is what Brandon said above completely true? Should the bar be in the hands not the fingers? I can't seem to get the bar in the hands (with it still on my shoulders) and still have my elbows anywhere but straight down. Could it be a long limb thing? I do have quite long arms

2. This might depend on the answer to the first question. Usually after a heavy clean, in the rack position, my little pinky fingers just can't stay under the bar, and I have to regrip slightly to get them there. Would it still be safe/possible to jerk from that position without the regrip?

Sorry for the long-winded post, hopefully someone can fill me in or give me their experiences
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Brandon Oto

Profile:

It's a bit of a subtlety. You can jerk pretty well with the elbows up... maybe even with them down although if you're completely holding the weight in your hands I doubt you'll get too much power.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #14
Steven Crawford

Profile:

Yeah, with a bit more practice that's what I've come to realise. If all the weight is in the hands, the bar just won't go up nearly as well.