CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Ben Chapman

Profile:
Re: Muscle Ups

^ Best investment you'll ever make (not because of the muscle up though).

The muscle up is great, but I found it to be more a skill of technique than a brute force movement. If you're really looking to gain some good strength, the rings are great; do pushups, pikes, levers etc on them. Working to multiple muscle ups is a great goal too. Just don't consider achieving the muscle up as your biggest milestone in the strength game, equal, if not more attention should be given to the olympic lifts, handstand pushup etc. Just my opinion!

Oh, do alot of negatives off the rings to help with the muscle up, they are going to approximate the reverse movement of the muscle up. The slower you can let yourself down, the more of an understanding you will have of where your body needs to be going up. Try to hit home the idea of moving the rings around your body, not your body on top of the rings. Keep 'em close!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Muscle-ups are definitely a skill.

Honestly, the hard part isn't pulling up as high as possible. Obviously, having a good reserve of pullup capacity is good for working these. Otherwise, you'll have to drop back down to some sort of spotting, self-assist or jumping or kipping. Somebody with single digit pull numbers, so long as they could pull in a false grip high enough could do a MU if they could get the transition skill portion and be strong enough to push out of the transition.

I would say the most difficult part of the muscle up is actually pushing from the transition. One needs to build their flexibility in the bottom of the dip, keep the rings almost parallel, and be able to push from the bottom. Ring dips people can get, but you need to be able push out of one really low and not get stuck. Oh yeah, you need to also be able to stabilize the rings.

There is some skill in the transition is efficient without the arms going wide or suffering other technical problems. More strength helps in the beginning to just get them and eventually technique gets better.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Al Canete

Profile:

Thanks for the input and advice. You guys are great!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #14
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

If you want the best quality&price, i have bought a couple of rings with straps on Ebay. The name are "Xtreme Rings for Gymnastics" from christopher sommer. The quality is maximum and the price, 55 bucks, i think, very very reasonable price too.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

From my own experience, jumping MUs helped me attain the strength/skill to do them.

I wish I had seen the video on the rowing MU when I was learning as the transition is the hardest part and that appears to do a good job training that portion of the MU.

I purchased a pair of rogue rings, put 2 eye bolts in the joists on my rear deck, added 2 S hooks and went to town with the rings.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Chadron Edwards

Profile:

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but try to practice with keeping your elbows close to your body, which will make things easier and less strain on the elbows.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
Robert Martinez

Profile:

Al..

Nice to see someone else in Rapid.

Wish i'd checked the boards earlier. I work out at the base, and I made my own rings out of plywood about 5 months ago. they work great, and I could have hooked you up for the price of the plywood.. about 15 bucks.

Contact me off board if you want a practice buddy for muscle ups. It took me about 2 months to get it.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadron Edwards View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but try to practice with keeping your elbows close to your body, which will make things easier and less strain on the elbows.
damned good advice there. spot on! lots of folks forget this importat cue!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Ok, I'll add a question to the mix. Just got my first muscle-up. Can't quite yet manage two. The big challenge for me now is getting through the transition backwards in a controlled fashion. I end up losing my false grip and having to regrip at the bottom, which really makes the next rep brutal. Any tricks here, or should I simply continue to focus on elbows in and hands to chest on the way down like I do on the way up? (Those will be my cues to myself next time I try, absemt any words of wisdom from the wise here.)
Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Im not wise Patrick but I was exactly where you are now about two months ago. Its just the order things come in. AFter i got my first muscle up I would go through the negative and just fall , lose the false grip and that was it. After a little while trying to go slower and slower through the negative the false grip stayed.

For me the next step was the hardest, holding the false grip with fully extended arms , although it is improving that is the weak point in my muscle ups at the moment and the part which has caused the most skin tearing on my wrists. Hope this helps Patrick and im betting you will keep your false grip very very soon.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com