CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Rafael Garcia

Profile:
Push & Jerk technique problem

Yesterday i did for the first time the push & jerk exercise in crossfit. Before i tried it a little bit when i started to watch coach videos. But i am experimenting a problem with this exercise.

There is a moment that the barbell rest on your shoulders, right? the correct technique says that the barbell has to lie on your shoulders, back straight and your elbows high so that you are creating an angle of 90º between your arms (triceps line) and your chest.

But i am experimenting that, i dont know the reason, i cant position my elbows up, because is like my wrists are not enough flexible for it, so that i cant put the barbell ON my shoulders, so in stead of being on the muscle, it position on my upper chest bones, and it hurts so much. And i cant position the elbows up not only because of the flexibility of my wrist, but the position by itself is so uncomfortable to lift the weigh up. Is like the position of my wrists are very very uncomfortable.

I dont know if i am explaining in the correct way. Anyway, i hope someone can help me. thank you very much in advance :-)
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Rafael Garcia

Profile:
Re: Push & Jerk technique problem

For example, looking at this image:

http://www.performancemenu.com/daily...verIssue44.jpg

As you can see, this girl is like switching the grip for this "front squat". Now imagine that i want to do a Jerk from here. I think is impossible. When i do the exercise push & jerk, i have to switch the hands position to make the bar rest on my shoulders. If not, i have two options: or make rest the barbell on the upper chest (the bones) and it hurts, or put the weight of the bar on my arms, so i cant "rest".
Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

there's a good video in the exercises and demos bit on main page
Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gallagher View Post
there's a good video in the exercises and demos bit on main page
i have watched all the videos from crossfit but in no one they explain how to position the barbell on your shoulders, how to position the arms/hands, and how to do the movement of the body (and how to change the position of the hands) to push it up.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Matt Schellinger

Profile:

Pretty much as you have stated, you might not be flexible enough yet, work on forcing your elbows up more and hold it. Something that worked well for me is leave a fully loaded bar in the rack, grip it normally and force it to my shoulders, in correct position. hold for several seconds and i got more flexible over time.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Schellinger View Post
Pretty much as you have stated, you might not be flexible enough yet, work on forcing your elbows up more and hold it. Something that worked well for me is leave a fully loaded bar in the rack, grip it normally and force it to my shoulders, in correct position. hold for several seconds and i got more flexible over time.
thank you very much for you advice. At least it makes me know that i am not the only one having this problem :-).
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

As you come out of the squat, use the momentum to pop up the bar slightly and reposition your hands with palms on the bar.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Is it really that bad to do a push-press with your elbows pointing down the whole time?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Is it really that bad to do a push-press with your elbows pointing down the whole time?
the problem with this is that if you point the elbows down, you are placing the weigth of the barbell on your hands and not on your shoulders. If that happend, you cant continue with your back straigth, and you will start to suffer in time, back problems, because you have to use it too to rebalance the barbell.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Correct form is between a front squat rack and a shoulder press rack. Elbows ARE largely down and the bar is in the palm of the hand (not the fingers), but it's still sitting on the shoulders. To do this you'll need to be able to push your shoulders forward enough to hold the bar while still getting your hand onto it.