CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Rafael Garcia

Profile:
Weight lifting equipment

hello everybody.

i am starting to build my own gym in my garaje. I would like to Weight lifting, and i dont know how must be the equipment to do it.

I mean, when i see people doing it, i see that they are doing over a plataform or something similar, that if the barbell falls down, it falls over the "plataform" and not over the floor.

What can i do with it? because sometimes i will be able to put the barbell again over the pararells, but other times (and more if i am trying to lift heavy weights) the barbell will fall to the floor, and i dont know what to use to protect the floor.

some advises?

thank you very much in advance

pd:and sorry for my english. i am trying to do my best explaining my doubts :-)
Old 08-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: Weight lifting equipment

You are asking about olympic style weightlifting.

The first worry needs to be to purchase the proper weights and bar.

The weights are not solid metal, but solid rubber "Olympic Training Bumpers = $$" or "Certified Olympic Bumpers = $$$$$". The bar is also strong enough to stand being dropped and are made to standard weights and dimensions.

The platform not only can protect the floor, but will also distribute the load, reduce wear on the Olympic Bumpers and it creates a defined space to perform the lift.

You can start without a platform, unless the floor of your garage is unstable or not usuable for other reasons.

Last edited by Paul Findley; 08-27-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Findley View Post
You are asking about olympic style weightlifting.

The first worry needs to be to purchase the proper weights and bar.

The weights are not solid metal, but solid rubber "Olympic Training Bumpers = $$" or "Certified Olympic Bumpers = $$$$$". The bar is also strong enough to stand being dropped and are made to standard weights and dimensions.

The platform not only can protect the floor, but will also distribute the load, reduce wear on the Olympic Bumpers and it creates a defined space to perform the lift.

You can start without a platform, unless the floor of your garage is unstable or not usuable for other reasons.
so you are advising me to not protect the floor and to buy bumper plates, right? the only negative part is that this kind of weights are very very expensive :-(

what do you think about buying, for example, a pair of big rubber weights (are big) and use normal weights (are metalic and i have some of them in my house and normally are a bit smaller than the rubber ones) as suplements to achive the weight i want, so if the barbell falls down, only the rubber weights will be the ones that will hit the floor.

another question. For what purpose are used this Power-Lift platforms at the photograph?

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PLATFORM2.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	2360  

Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 08-27-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:

Yes this stuff is not inexpensive.

Many people will buy say 25lb or 45lb bumper weights and supplement them with iron. The rule of thumb is to not exceed the weight of the rubber barbell. So no more than 25 more pounds on a 25lb bumper. Thinner bumpers cannot take the load. Don't confuse a rubber coated plate for a bumper. There are those solid plastic training plates that seem quite durable for stacking on iron, sorry I don't have the link. You will want a platform if your dropping those.

Regarding your thumbnail: Using those platforms you can focus training on different segments of the lift. I would say that if a set of bumpers is out of reach, don't bother with that level of specialization.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Findley View Post
Regarding your thumbnail: Using those platforms you can focus training on different segments of the lift. I would say that if a set of bumpers is out of reach, don't bother with that level of specialization.
Those are pulling blocks to train the hang position and speed through the middle. You can just make them out of wood, they are not really special. You can also make jerk blocks that are high enough to train the jerk. Seen here, although you can dump the weights rather than squat them down. (WFS)
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Rafael Garcia

Profile:

thank you very much for your advises.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Those are pulling blocks to train the hang position and speed through the middle. You can just make them out of wood, they are not really special. You can also make jerk blocks that are high enough to train the jerk. Seen here, although you can dump the weights rather than squat them down. (WFS)
That guy is fast under the bar!

The platform can be constructed. The platform I have lifted on in competition does not have rubber. It is all wood. For a training platform, you will want 9 sheets of 3/4" plywood. If you want rubber, then get some 3/4" stallmats from a horse supply store in your area. Competition platforms are a little larger. I believe the USA Weightlifting specs call for a 8'x12' platform., in which case you would need 12 sheets of 3/4" plywood (18-19mm)

The bars and bumpers can be expensive. I am unsure if there is a distributor in Spain, but you are a lot closer to the home countries of the weightlifting powerhouses (Bulgaria, Poland, Germany)...though China showed us a thing or two in the Olympics this year!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Brian Sharp

Profile:

I'm bringing Pendlay Bars, and Hi-Temp rubber bumper plates into the UK in the next week or so.

If you need any advice, email me at brian@strengthpowerspeed.co.uk

Good luck,

Brian
Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Sihan Goi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Are there any guides to making these pulling blocks? I'm thinking they might make good plyo boxes/box squat boxes as well when stacked up?