CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #21
Peter Queen

Profile:
Re: It's not nice to tell people you're going to work out.

Wow, someone actually dug this thread back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Emery View Post
I've found that a lot of women (and men) are embarrassed to be seen working out in public. So, I show them a simple Push/Pull/Sit/Squat circuit they can do at home. And then I follow up by asking them to email me their times. I've had some success with this approach.

Another approach is bush walking, I regularly lead bush walks and i've found that beginners really like it. Often the bush walking is an ice breaker that eventually gets them interested in better health.
Anyway, Nice observation and approach Matt.

Veronica, I also agree. Mike get's my vote as well.

Good point Paul. I would also be interested to see what the end result for Eric and his younger sisters was.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #22
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Queen View Post
As far as family members go, it's a judgment call. This type of thread has been bounced around a lot and the general feeling has always been to basically lead by example and don't force them. Express the positive bennefits of working out but don't belittle or bully. And from a guys perspective, women will close up quick and shut you out big time if you push them into a routine that they are not ready for.
It happened to me. I always learn the hard way.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #23
David Ristau

Profile:

I would say just get them involved at this point. Sports, hiking, cycling, anything. My step girls want nothing to do with me working out, but they do like to play with the 'toys'. They are about the same age as your sisters and are now involved with stuff like hockey, swimming, karate, guides, music..... Yes, it is like trying to plan the day for a NYC taxi cab company.

Getting involved is the first step, and a step that provides many benefits over our general couch-potato lifestyle. Then if they see you working out and the gains from it, they may become more interested ~ probably around the beginning of junior high school. Don't push too much at this age.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #24
Eric Cohen

Profile:

Wow, was surprised to find this again. Well anyways, as of right now I'm still being patient with them. I've been avoiding the nagging at them approach and rather just being a nice fun to be around big brother. There's quite a ways to go; however, when they're with me and I'm doing some parkour training and the like, they'll start running around a little or I'll help them out on climbing something small. Sometimes they try to run away from me while I chase them, pretty fun stuff. Maybe if they're bored and I have my rings setup they'll try to support themselves.

One issue though, I feel as if I'm somewhat of a bad influence sometimes. I'm the biggest consumer in the family, constantly eating. I notice they sometimes snack on stuff every little while like I do. Their metabolism isn't up to par with mine.

Last edited by Eric Cohen; 11-17-2007 at 12:12 PM..
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #25
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cohen View Post
One issue though, I feel as if I'm somewhat of a bad influence sometimes. I'm the biggest consumer in the family, constantly eating. I notice they sometimes snack on stuff every little while like I do. Their metabolism isn't up to par with mine.
Start snacking on celery.. negative calories. Either that or other fruits and vegetables. It's pretty hard to go wrong with them, and it's doubtful that it will be adding much to their adipose stores.