CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Becca Borawski

Profile:
UFC FIGHT NIGHT 8: JANUARY 25, 2007 ON SPIKE TV
Hollywood, Florida

Main Card Bouts:
-Rashad Evans vs. Sean Salmon
-Heath Herring vs. Jake O'Brien
-Hermes Franca vs. Spencer Fisher

-Nathan Marquardt vs. Dean Lister (swing fight)

Preliminary Bouts:
-Josh Burkman vs. Chad Reiner
-Ed Herman vs. Chris Price
-Din Thomas vs. Clay Guida
-Rich Clementi vs. Ross Pointon

Main card airs live on Spike TV on Thursday, January 25 from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM (ET/PT)
Old 01-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Thanks Becca for the UFC update. I like Rashad Evans, but that 's just me. Anyway, I was wondering, does Spike show Pride fights? I caught the last 10 minutes of it once but that was about 3 weeks ago and I have not seen it listed since. Even on Spike's website there is no definative clarity on what channel airs it. I now question myself if it was even on Spike in the first place. It could have been just an assumption on my part.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Fox Sports airs reruns of old Pride fights - that's probably what you saw!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
Pete

Here in Ohio FSN air's the Pride rerun's a couple time's a week, at 4:00 0r 5:00 pm and then at like 11:00pm at night.

They usualy have pretty good fight's on there too it is worth checking the Tv guide ot find them.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:
I have yet to see Herring in action, but he has a lot of buzz around him, so cant wait to see him fight. Excited about seeing him and seeing if Rashad can continue to grow. Still no where near ready for Chuck, but with the exception of Page, no one at 205 in the UFC is ready for Chuck.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
Personally i feel Herring is more suited to Pride rules, and can take anyone under that system when he is on form. However, Heath always comes to fight so he should be a good one, and if he changes camps and UFC build him up right then i think he could do good things.

I have to say i am suprised to see Nathan Marquardt on a UFN card....last i heard he was being talked about for a bounce off Franklin ( before Anderson stole the show ). I am also suprised to see Fischer on a UFN card....maybe i am wrong and the UFN nights are gaining more and more weight over Stateside?

ALso, one thing that suprised me for UFC 68 is that Franklin is down to fight Jason McDonald while poor old Quick Mike Swick is pretty far down the card. Don't get me wrong, Jason is an excellent fighter but i would have thought that Swick would be inline for a title shot, or at least a shot at Franklin and then a title shot?

Becca, you know more about this scene than any one person should! You have an insight for a poor dumb Irish boy?
Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #7
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Clay Guida trains not to far from where I live. Kinda cool to see a local guy in the UFC. Becca, thx for the info.

Dan
Old 01-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Marquardt actually made his UFC debut at an Ultimate Fight Night, and I think his reputation was permanently marred by the world's most boring fight that he and Ivan Salaverry put on that night, too.

It seems like UFC tries to put some recognizable but not huge names on the UFN cards to get some draw. It's a good venue for the smaller weight classes, in that regard.

In regards to Swick, I think UFC might be saving him a little -- they've seen all their recent up-and-comers and stars take a big pummeling, and Swick is really popular with the TUF fans, does a lot of media stuff for the UFC website, etc. Doesn't suprise me they wouldn't put him up against Franklin.

Jason McDonald on the other hand, the UFC has nothing invested in really and he puts on great fights, so to have him fight Franklin seems a win-win situation for them. It either builds up the new guy, McDonald, who's already known as a bit of a "TUF killer" or it gives Franklin a credible win to get him back on track.

As far as Heath Herring, he's never achieved his potential. He went from training in Holland where there's a big party scene, to training in Vegas...where there's a big party scene. He insists on fighting like a kickboxer, when he's actually a wrestler, and his career has been really erratic.

I guess the UFC is advertising him using the video clip from K-1 Heroes of the fight where Nakao kissed him and Heath knocked him out, though! lol!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Luc Fueston

Profile:
Becca, I have an opinion question.

Does it seem to you that Lister's fight (I only know of one) in the UFC, the one where he controlled the whole thing and really laid down the law, no-gi JJ style -- does it seem like the UFC may have gone out of their way to give him an easier win that time, to build his value as a fighter, or do you think he's really that successful at applying his JJ to world-class, modern MMA?

If so, I think that's sort of significant. I heard that in a Pride event some japanese fighter won with a rubber-guard triangle attempt that went into a bizarre foot-related submission (foot across the throat, lol!), and I was shocked.

Are things turning around now for world-class JJ? It seems like for a long time the most successful guys have had their EMPHASIS in ground-and-pound and standup, and while posessing good JJ have won their fights mostly with their fists. And, sadly, for us submission fans it's made things a bit less interesting (not that that's a majority view).

I wonder if the new generation of no-gi jj competitors have a chance of reversing that trend?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
That's Shinya Aoki that you're thinking of - he won by a move called the "gogoplata."

As far as Lister - it's only natural for a promotion to want a fighter to win to build him up. Matchmaking is an art, both for the promoters and managers of fighters. Setting up good fights, but also building up characters/personalities to market. You can't throw guys easy fights, or the fans know it, plus they're not very exciting. But you also don't want your favorite to crash and burn. It's a gamble for everybody involved.