CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #21
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: Telling a member to find another place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
False.

It's the Stones.

- Mark
It is isn't it?!?! My favorite too, in fact I think the Beatles are lame.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #22
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
It is isn't it?!?! My favorite too, in fact I think the Beatles are lame.
I don't think the Beatles are lame by any means. They were very innovative at the time, and I always enjoy listening to them.

I give the edge to the Stones largely on the basis of their longevity. That they are still the force that they are 52 years after they were formed is amazing to me. The Beatles only held it together for ten years.

- Mark
Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
I don't think the Beatles are lame by any means. They were very innovative at the time, and I always enjoy listening to them.

I give the edge to the Stones largely on the basis of their longevity. That they are still the force that they are 52 years after they were formed is amazing to me. The Beatles only held it together for ten years.

- Mark
By no means am I trying to discredit the Beatles, just not for me. Sure they have a couple of songs I like, Let it be, Don't let me down, but not many that I'm a fan of.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #24
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
By no means am I trying to discredit the Beatles, just not for me. Sure they have a couple of songs I like, Let it be, Don't let me down, but not many that I'm a fan of.
So you're saying that since you never really "clicked" with them, you just kicked `em out of your rotation?

- Mark
Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #25
Will Hurst

Profile:

alright guys, I was a little heated after my dealings with the member and might have took a little bit of it out here. The next day I spoke with the person directly and admitted the fault on my part and he did the same.

At the end of the day I didn't handle the situation the best, and it backfired. That doesn't mean the other guy is right either, he was doing some things I wasn't comfortable with and I'll be honest it felt at the time as if he was undermining me. We are very good about making sure our people have a handle on whats going on. It was a case of every time the coach walked away after making an adjustment with a member, he would walk over to that same member and begin to make corrections. I observed it a couple times and he wasn't asked. All I asked is that instead of doing this he involve the coach on the scene or ask the coach if he can contribute. I have another weightlifter at our gym that likes to chime in, when I had the same conversation with him he had no problem and its been great ever since and now our coaches can benefit from his contributions in classes. This guy took insult to it and that's where we got off on the wrong foot and how the whole thing escalated and a bunch of other stuff came out. Feelings got hurt and he left some nasty reviews which he later removed after we sorted it out.

This whole thing is subjective and of course I was looking for someone to agree with me when I made my original post. I appreciate everyone keeping it real.

In regards to the USAW barbell club thing, yes, we are. We have platforms, bars and plates for this area of the gym. I only told him he had to complete CF classes once a week because I felt that if he was going to interject on CrossFit classes then he should participate. This is where I went wrong, probably shouldn't have given him that ultimatum and approached it differently. This isn't a rule for our barbell club in general, and no, its not a money grab. We had one at my first facility and it was run successfully, it's really just getting started here as we just opened this box two months ago and the CF side of things is our main focus.

Last edited by Will Hurst; 06-28-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #26
Will Hurst

Profile:

Quote:
Lighten up.

Feels to me like this outburst from you is the rooted in the same emotion that caused you to knee-jerk kick this guy out instead of try to resolve the issue over time.

My way or the highway. Good luck with that.

- Mark
Probably some truth here. In two years of running gyms and 8 years prior of entrepreneurship in far larger scale business models I can say I've definitely handled similar situations much better. No doubt I'll file this one away as a lesson learned the hard way. I was a little d*ckish in my reply.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #27
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
This whole thing is subjective and of course I was looking for someone to agree with me when I made my original post.
That's basically the feeling I got initially.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #28
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Good job for reaching out after you both cooled off. Major props there, and also for coming here and admiting that you were in the wrong on the stuff. Rock on bud!!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #29
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Well, this is seemingly wrapped up but I'm going to agree with your original post more than the outcome Will.

THAT GYM(s) is YOUR baby. NO ONE cares about it as much as YOU DO. Definitely none of us on the interwebz...Your livelihood is wrapped up in it.

Hopefully this is really all worked out happily ever after, and everything is good, but if I were you I would go back and think long and hard about that member.

Did you really fix everything with a conversation or have you merely made it tolerable for another 3-4 months until the problems you have with the guy creep back up again?

Have any of your members complained about certain behavior? Or was it just something you noticed?

I truly hope it all works out, but this is why I DO NOT allow anyone into our gym on a long term basis that isn't following one of our programs. Has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with Community. The extra $$/month is NOT worth it.

Community is such a huge part of CrossFit, be very wary of anything that exists in your gym that doesn't bolster that. Someone in the corner doing their own thing is exactly that. This is why open gym should be limited. Or at the very list NO open gym until they have been a member for a certain period of time.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
Will Hurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Well, this is seemingly wrapped up but I'm going to agree with your original post more than the outcome Will.

THAT GYM(s) is YOUR baby. NO ONE cares about it as much as YOU DO. Definitely none of us on the interwebz...Your livelihood is wrapped up in it.

Hopefully this is really all worked out happily ever after, and everything is good, but if I were you I would go back and think long and hard about that member.

Did you really fix everything with a conversation or have you merely made it tolerable for another 3-4 months until the problems you have with the guy creep back up again?

Have any of your members complained about certain behavior? Or was it just something you noticed?

I truly hope it all works out, but this is why I DO NOT allow anyone into our gym on a long term basis that isn't following one of our programs. Has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with Community. The extra $$/month is NOT worth it.

Community is such a huge part of CrossFit, be very wary of anything that exists in your gym that doesn't bolster that. Someone in the corner doing their own thing is exactly that. This is why open gym should be limited. Or at the very list NO open gym until they have been a member for a certain period of time.
Aushion, the guy is no longer with us, we stuck by our decision to go separate ways. The only thing we did was reach out afterwards to make there was an understanding between us. Even though it didn't go smoothly, I still got the end result that I was looking for and that was to both agree that it wasn't a fit. I agree with what you're saying and that was actually what I was trying to say early on, I think some of the other posters here missed that, or are just more tolerable of that type of behavior for sake of growing their revenue stream. I don't care about the money this early on, I'm concerned with building a sustainable foundation of members who share our ideals and so far I'm very happy with the outcome.