CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:
Graveyard Shifts and CrossFit training

Hi, everyone. I just started working grave shifts this month and it has been tough, to say the least. While I'm grateful to have work, my CrossFit training has somewhat been compromised. I'm usually on a 3-on-1-off schedule but, since this month, it has been more like 1-on-2-off schedule.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences working nights and training and how others deal with the lack of sleep/energy. Do you force yourself to the box to maintain more frequency in your training or do you reel back on the frequency and train when you've gotten enough rest?

I'm more the type to force myself to train but, at the end of the day, does that do you any good when you're running on 'fumes'?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Bryan Spillman

Profile:
Re: Graveyard Shifts and CrossFit training

If I were you I would do the workout right before your shift, it will "wake" you up thoroughly and then you will be happy you got it in already. I have the same problems, I have to get up at 4:15 AM on the days where I work out before work. It is rewarding though during the day knowing I just get to rest when I go home.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

You're right about getting the training in before work.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Alfredo, i take the opposite approach. I work from 11pm-7:30am. I schedule my day just like a day-shift job, just pushed back. I wake up arond 9-9:30pm, go into work and get off at 7:30, then usually hit the gym between 9 and 10am. After this i shower and eat one more time before bed between 1-2pm. Works really well for me, and as long as i eat well and get to bed on time i have plenty of energy.

However i just noticed that you rotate shifts, so im not sure how much what i just said will really help you. My guess would be to trial and error it out to see which works best for you on your work days.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Amber Werts

Profile:

I work nights and have for 5 years now. I work crossfit into my schedule whether I am tried or not. I normally get up early and go in to work out, or I stay up and do it after work on the days I can sleep in a little. Sometimes it is hard and you may not be able to lift as much first thing when you get up, but a bad work out is better than no workout at all.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

get black out curtains and don't forget to turn the ringer off on your phone.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Harold Stafford

Profile:

I have tried working out both before and after midnight shift.

After I got off duty in the morning, I was exhausted and the quality of my workouts sucked, so I would take a pre-workout. The pre-workout supplement jacked me up and made my workouts much more beneficial, but then it affected my ability to fall asleep.

I changed to going to sleep right after work, then getting up a bit earlier and working out before work and it has worked much better for me. I sleep deeper and have time to wake up and even spend some time with my family before my WOD and then off to work. I still use a pre-workout, because sometimes I wake up tired still, but now it doesn't affect my sleep.

Timing your meals and any caffeinated drinks during your shift will also help improve your quality of sleep, therefore improving your WOD as well. As others have mentioned, sleep in a cool, dark room. I also use a couple of loud fans because the humming sound is like white noise.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Chris Jones

Profile:

any luck OP?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Eddie Odom

Profile:

I have been a Paramedic for eight years. I work 12, 24 and sometimes 36 hour shifts. My schedule is irregular and consists of nights, days or both. I also have four kids (with twins on the way). I believe that establishing a routine is best.
HOWEVER, after eight years, I have never been able to establish one. Ive found that I am able to train more often if I fit in in where I can as opposed to saying "I'm always going to train at this time of day" or "im always going to train before work." When I tried to stick to a "routine" I was only able to train about three days a week. Once I threw the routine out the window, I figured out that the fact that I train consistentlty is more important than doing it at the same time every day. If i can train before work, I do. If not, I train after work. If i need to sleep before I train, i sleep then train. Being "off schedule" is much better than not training at all that day because you couldn't do it at your normal time. Now, for the most part I can maintain a 3 on, 1 off ratio most of the time. Sorry for the long response. Hope it helps.