CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Logan M Smith

Profile:
Help improving cardio and endurance

I've been working out at the gym for almost a year now trying to gain weight as an ectomorph-and I have improved slightly in terms of muscle strength/size- however I want to now incorporate cardio endurance (as in running a mile) into my strength workouts without compromising my goal of gaining more lean weight.

What is the best way I can improve cardio while continuing to increase muscle mass as an ectomorph? (hopefully no treadmills-and fyi there are no rowing machines here) I was thinking high-intensity oly lifts but these don't add much muscle right?..idk
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Stephanie Glasgow

Profile:
Re: Help improving cardio and endurance

I had the same question a little while back, as I currently crossFit and I'm also training for a marathon. Some one posted this link in a different thread and i found it extremely helpful. part one: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...and-be-strong/ and part two: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...u-want-to-run/
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

Hi, Logan. It sounds like you're training "solo" at a local gym and acquired results that are less favorable than you've expected for yourself. I would encourage you to try something different. If you haven't done so already, try out your local CrossFit box and ask them about their programming. If the programming is right, then you'll have workouts that challenge you to lift heavy and increase your metabolic capacity. You may find yourself doing power cleans and double-unders in the same WOD or rowing 1000m before front squats and sit-ups. Remember that CrossFit is constantly varied high intensity functional movement. It's the "variation" of the exercises that allow you to meet these goals in a concerted effort rather than benching for an hour and falling asleep on the treadmill for 30min after. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Hamze Abdi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo Mendoza View Post
Hi, Logan. It sounds like you're training "solo" at a local gym and acquired results that are less favorable than you've expected for yourself. I would encourage you to try something different. If you haven't done so already, try out your local CrossFit box and ask them about their programming. If the programming is right, then you'll have workouts that challenge you to lift heavy and increase your metabolic capacity. You may find yourself doing power cleans and double-unders in the same WOD or rowing 1000m before front squats and sit-ups. Remember that CrossFit is constantly varied high intensity functional movement. It's the "variation" of the exercises that allow you to meet these goals in a concerted effort rather than benching for an hour and falling asleep on the treadmill for 30min after. Good luck!
haha don't I know that feeling... minus the benching for an hour...