CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Rachel Roberts

Profile:
N00b Question

Hey guys!

Been lurking here for a while since I've wanted to try Crossfit since I discovered its existance sometime last year!

Last week I plucked up the courage and joined a club, and I've gotta say that I loved the atmosphere, the workout, and the post workout burn (which lasted about three days longer than expected...)!

Obviously I'm hyped about going back tomorrow night (and taking a friend)!

Anyway, my question is this:

Will I see some decent weight loss, toning, and strength-gaining results if I only go once a week?

-> Considering that I also do Pole Fitness, Tennis and 5k runs during the week.

Sorry if this is a bad question - I did read through the FAQs before posting, but thought I'd ask anyway as with my sports it's a little specific

Xox
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: N00b Question

no, not really. if you are doing CF only once a week and then doing all that other stuff in additon it will be hard to know where the improvement is coming from. however, if you already have plenty of endurance and agility work with your other sports, then a better option would be to simply lift heavy weights on a smart and well designed program once or twice a week. you would definetly see results from that. and of course remember, diet is key.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Roberts View Post
Will I see some decent weight loss, toning, and strength-gaining results if I only go once a week?
Weight loss is primarily a result of nutrition. See Paleo or Zone Diet.

Toning is the combination of lower body fat and stronger muscles. This is nutrition and weight training.

Strength gain is a result of weight training done correctly.

Your Pole class, tennis and 5k running won't help much with these goals.

More CrossFit and a diet change would.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Let me combine the 2 above posts into something more encompassing... even though they both got part of the answer.

As Andrew said, 1 day a week of almost any program isn't going to do much. Even playing a sport 1 day a week isn't going to make you better. 2 days a week is usually the minimum I tell people who want to improve in something.

Andrew is also more correct in the sense that a well designed strength program done 1-2 days a week would be more beneficial to you than crossfit 1-2 days a week. This is because you are already doing pole dancing, running, and tennis.

You may feel awkward perhaps only going into weight lift... but just take my advice and try that 2 days a week on top of your order stuff. A good program for this will help you "tone" up, gain some strength, and promote weight loss. That is because weight lifting burns calories over a much longer time period and increases your metabolism over a much longer time period than tennis or running would.

Having said that, Brendan is right somewhat as well. Diet is a huge part of weight loss. If you want to lose weight, then you have to eat clean most of the time, and if that plus all your physical activity doesn't cut it after a few months... then you will have to watch your portions and calorie intake.

I climb, crossfit, weight lift, yoga, run... and play a few sports... and I'm a male... so I can get away with eating some more junk, and I'm already fairly lean. If you're not at the point of lean-ness you want to be at, then it takes a bit more effort in your SPECIFICALLY diet and a bit in training to get you to that point.... but it is much easier to settle in and stay around your met goal.

Best of luck, and take my advice and find a good strength coach at a CF gym to work with you 1-2 days a week in addition to your other activities. Especially if you enjoy them. Then focus on your diet. There is a diet section in this board with a lot of great tips... read over that and eliminate all the obvious coke/pop, alcohol outside of some occasional beer/wine, candy, chips, processed carbs, fruit drinks, etc.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Alfredo Mendoza

Profile:

I couldn't have said it any better than Andrew, Brendan and Jon. Take full advantage of the wealth of skills and knowledge you can acquire at your local CrossFit box. The gymnastics, MetCon (metabolic conditioning) and Weightlifting techniques you learn will have direct transference to your extracurricular activities. You will need to invest more time into your training, of course. Experiment with "5 on, 2 off", "3 on, 1 off", "2 on, 1 off" and find which schedule fits best with your lifestyle. Remember, this is about GPP (General physical preparedness). Enjoy your fitness!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Tonya Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Roberts View Post
Hey guys!

Been lurking here for a while since I've wanted to try Crossfit since I discovered its existance sometime last year!

Last week I plucked up the courage and joined a club, and I've gotta say that I loved the atmosphere, the workout, and the post workout burn (which lasted about three days longer than expected...)!

Obviously I'm hyped about going back tomorrow night (and taking a friend)!

Anyway, my question is this:

-> Considering that I also do Pole Fitness, Tennis and 5k runs during the week.

Sorry if this is a bad question - I did read through the FAQs before posting, but thought I'd ask anyway as with my sports it's a little specific

Xox
I'm not sure how much weight you will lose, but slowly over time you will gain strength going once a week. If you want to gain strength faster, you will need to go more than once a week. I currently go 5 days a week, but I do not do anything other than crossfit. I hope you enjoy crossfit as much as I do.

I have some recipes and information about crossfit on this website below. I'm hoping to help anyone that is thinking about giving crossfit a try. http://tonyascrossfitjourney.com/

Good luck!!