CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Eleazer Espinosa

Profile:
Tennis Elbow

Hello all. I get the occasional tennis elbow flareup and am wondering how everyone treats it and any warm up suggestions. I try to ice it when I am home, but it doesn't take more than a handshake at times to remind me that it may never go away. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Tennis Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleazer Espinosa View Post
Hello all. I get the occasional tennis elbow flareup and am wondering how everyone treats it and any warm up suggestions. I try to ice it when I am home, but it doesn't take more than a handshake at times to remind me that it may never go away. Thanks.
Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) is pretty easily treatable, if you visit a professional for it. Things like massaging it (if it's tight), stretching, modifying daily activities (especially if you sit at the computer all day), icing it, etc can remedy it in a few weeks. Have you seen a physical therapist about it before?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleazer Espinosa View Post
What Brent said.

I tend to agree with the POV that often tendonitis issues stem from a biomechanical issue. High-rep, poorly done pull-ups can exacerbate it. Take a look at the CFJ for Tucker's series (sorry can't link from where I am) on kipping pull-ups...he has tips to avoid shoulder and elbow issues. Also check out Kstar's shoulder and neck mobility vids. His angle is that the arm is basically the upper body "leg" and the elbow is the "knee"...upstream and downstream problems can manifest in the elbow.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
James Rhodes

Profile:

I had this years ago when I started doing chin-ups for the first time.

The physical therapist I saw was pretty useless, just gave me some stretching and strengthening exercises which did nothing except irritate my wrists.

What worked for me: Trigger point massage

Massage the trigger points with a tennis ball against a wall:

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/tennisel.htm

It's basically just finding the painful points and applying pressure, several times a day. It may get worse before it gets better. Just stick with it. Really helped me.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Eleazer Espinosa

Profile:

Thank you all for your replies. It first came about when I was using a heavy iron bar to break up some ice on my driveway. oddly enough, I had just come home from the gym in the morning. I guess it came from gripping the bar while vertical. Ever since then, it has come and gone. Mostly gone.

I have not visited a physical therapist yet. I have tried icing it when it really hurts and that seems to help. I remember to stretch the muscles in my forearms by flexing at the wrists upwards and downwards. I've taken to doing pull ups by not wrapping my thumbs around the bar. I plan on doing the deadlift wod this morning, so we will see how it goes. I will also view the videos and try the trigger point massage. Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Paul Coplin

Profile:

I pulled mine a few years ago on heavy deads.

PT and icing never really helped. What got rid of most of it was a cortisone shot. I still feel it slightly after a long stretch of hard pulls, but it's been good for a couple years now.

If I crops up again I'll have the tendon removed.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coplin View Post
I pulled mine a few years ago on heavy deads.

PT and icing never really helped. What got rid of most of it was a cortisone shot. I still feel it slightly after a long stretch of hard pulls, but it's been good for a couple years now.

If I crops up again I'll have the tendon removed.
Considering it's just a muscular strain or tendinitis (if it truly is lateral epicondylitis), PT should always help. If it didn't, the likelihood was your PT didn't intervene correctly. Have you ever modified your daily activities? How about worked to manage the muscle tone of the musculature? Accessory motion, which is frequently forgotten, is key for proper muscle mechanics.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Pär Larsson

Profile:

EMI seems to have a wealth of information on it. Keep in mind that the whole heat/ice/NSAIDs debate is still raging horribly. http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/ SFW

Also Kelly Starrett at http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/06/e...ura-elbow.html SFW
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Seconded on this link wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/
Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
Kevin Moore

Profile:

For what its worth, heat has done nothing for my chronic tendonitis. Ice on the other hand has allowed me to continue training.