CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo, "Cindy"

How about ring rows as a beginner Cindy pullup sub? Build strength to do real pullups, without the high speed eccentrics that you get into with jumping pullups.

Katherine
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Jeff Metzger

Profile:

Ring pullups are exactly what my box owner said I will be doing in lieu of regular or assisted pullups. When I get back into the gym of course...
Old 02-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Wow, a scaled half cindy sending someone to the hospital . . . that is crazy. Good reminder to be very careful with new CrossFitters.

I also second the ring rows recommendation.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:

Ring rows can also still have a significant eccentric component if people keep going
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Pär Larsson

Profile:

I'm voting for burpees or situps if you absolutely have to do a 10-min "Cindy" with beginners.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
David Meverden

Profile:

How soft do you have to make the kiddy gloves if you can't do ring rows? Yikes. There MUST be a way to have SOME pulling that is safe even for the most novice.

Ok, ok, how about the exercise where they start sitting on the ground, then use their arms and a rope to pull themselves up to standing. After standing they sit back down and repeat avoiding almost all eccentric component.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Just don't make it an AMRAP and you should be fine. When I was coaching our typical workout for the first on-ramp session was something like 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 ring rows, 10 pushups, and 200m run. Even with the most sedentary people, I never saw anything worse than mild DOMS result from a workout like that.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Just don't make it an AMRAP and you should be fine. When I was coaching our typical workout for the first on-ramp session was something like 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 ring rows, 10 pushups, and 200m run. Even with the most sedentary people, I never saw anything worse than mild DOMS result from a workout like that.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say for the most part.

The rope climb thing also sounds decent too, though I think that would tear most people's hands up that don't have a bunch of experience with rope and/or calluses
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Rebecca Eschmann

Profile:

I'm really thankful these forums are up with people's experience with rhabdo. I began CF in July, and have only gone once maybe twice a week and haven't been real consistent. On Wednesday the wod was 8 pullups 4 thrusters x10. I was very excited because I got my kip for the first time and was able to kip all the pullups with a purple and blue band.
The swelling got real bad yesterday in my elbow and bicep (Saturday) today it has moved to my forearm. I still cannot bend or straighten my arm. Will this go away on its own or should I see my Dr tomorrow if it's not better?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Have you noticed any of the other telltale symptoms of rhabdo like brown colored urine? If not you've probably just got a bad case of DOMS or possibly compartment syndrome, but it still wouldn't hurt to get a doc to check it out.