CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Darren Zega

Profile:  
I did something stupid to my hip...

Following a CF warmup x3, on last set of an 85% 5x3 during rep #4 I felt a snapping/popping feeling in my left hip followed by immediate light pain while below parallel just as I started to push upward. I was able to finish the set and I changed my second exercise from a standing to a seated sholder press. Finished with PNF stretching and went home in light/moderate pain and slight weakness in the joint.

After a tasty dinner of crockpot beef heart (smile Jay), I iced for 20 minutes twice with a 20 minute break between and contrast showered it 4 rounds of 30 s hot 30 s cold.

Right now it's got minor swelling and moderate/severe pain during active flexion, abduction, lateral rotation, and hyperextension. The same motions passively do not hurt. When not moving it throbs but doesn't hurt. There's also some instability during normal walking.

I'm thinking it's a class 2 sprain and going to see the doctor tomorrow, but I'm holding out vain hope for the best. What do you all think?

Last edited by Darren Zega : 01-28-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: I did something stupid to my hip...

Sprain sounds about right with the popping/snapping feeling and the hurting in active ROM. Hopefully it's not.. but yeah, you're probably right about that.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Thanks for being quick as usual, Steve. That's what I figured. I just hope it's not too bad.

Well...the ROTC batallion sure is going to be ****ed when I show up limping tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Well, the verdict I got from the Doc is that I partially tore my quad off of my pelvis. Knowing how good sports-medicine is from the rank and file GP, do you all think the symptoms pass the smell test?

Other than that, he recommended I avoid any excercise that loads the hip or quads significantly for two weeks. I'm thinking that's obviously sound advice, but do you all think it's a significant time period? (Only asking because I'm tired of following prescribed recovery plans and starting my routine again only to find it hadn't fully healed and reinjuring myself.)
Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Vastus lateralis?

That sucks. I think I did the same thing with my patellar tendon. Depends on how bad it is.. I was out for a while (and then reinjured it recently, lol) so I'm still out.

Massage definitely helps a lot from what I've seen, heh.