CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Billy Brummel

Profile:
I'd like to enroll my wife in a self defense class, but I don't want it to be completely useless (ie learning the crane from Karate Kid). I am inclined to think that Krav Maga might be the best and most efficient use of her time. Any input as to what the best system might be for self defense?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Billy you might want to search this topic. It has come up a lot. Very controversy.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Billy,

Dan's right. I will say, though, that in my view the two most important things she will need to learn are awareness and the spirit of resistance. Have her read "The Gift of Fear", by Gavin de Becker. In my personal opinion, if she takes it to heart, that is more valuable than any self defense class she could take.

If the concern is more yours than hers, I would also suggest just doing one of those 2-4 weekend classes just for women. They teach them to yell "No"--which is more for their benefit than to scare the attacker, although if it helps support a spirit of resistance, it may well help there too--and just simple things like nut shots, eye pokes, palm slam to the chin, and stuff like that. I even saw one where the attacker dressed in a Red Man suit (I don't know what they're called), so they could go full force, full speed.

If you travel, try to talk her into a gun for the house, and keep in mind pepper spray, too.

The point of anything she learns is to get enough distance to get away, not kill the attacker--although that's not a bad thing, in my view. Given that, you might want to see if you can get her CrossFitting as well.

If you want an extended theological discussion, go down one category.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Barry and Dan both have some good insights on this.
I've been involved with various martial arts/personal defense systems for over 25 years.
Good situational awareness is vital. Many people position themselves to become a victim.
What ever program a person uses, somewhere "stopping power" has to come into play.
A violent street attack can be over in seconds, that must be remembered.I have been attacked in that manner, thank GOD I am still alive.
I tend to favor learning effective principles as opposed to becoming an encyclopedia of techniques.
If your instructor has never had any street experience, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Billy, to agree with Dan and Barry, do a search. This is a very personal decision. It is almost as taboo as religion and politics in certain circles because people feel very strongly about their particular choice in MA. I will throw in my quick 2c and say that it is important to be aware, attack vital areas quickly and run like he## if possible. But to echo Barry’s thoughts, being able to kick the s#!% out of an assailant will not cause me to lose any sleep either. Learning the basic use of weapons will help in being able to improvise should the need arise, in case all you have is a stick, shoe, or even cell phone. Anything can be used as a weapon given proper training and insight on how to move with an object in your hand. Bottom line again: do some research. Learn what best fits but don’t be afraid to expand your boundaries. In closing, I’ll just add that it is also vitally important to learn some ground defenses in case, Heaven forbid, your wife might find herself on the ground. You’ll need to know how to turn that scenario into an advantage. Just because you are on the ground does not mean you are helpless.

My book suggestion is: “Unleash the Warrior Within” by Richard Machowicz. He’s former Navy SEAL and a self defense instructor.
Good luck.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
I tend to favor learning effective principles as opposed to becoming an encyclopedia of techniques.
Yeah, I also agree with Frank's point here.
I did not see your post Frank until I already submitted mine.:happy:
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Bill Russell

Profile:
I definitely agree that this topic is controversial, so I'll try not to set anything off!

Something with weapons training might be something to consider.

I have become quite proficient with Hapkido cane fighting. You can take one with you anywhere, including commercial flights.

I have heard many chuckles from friends about using a cane as a self defense weapon, that is until they see a demonstration.

BR
Old 09-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
My Shun Ryu instructor uses a cane as part of his weapons training class. You learn to immediately stop laughing after that first crack across the shin or elbow.:crybaby0:
Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
Lori Vescio

Profile:
This isn't a favorite with many who train in self defense and martial arts, but it was a favorite of mine:

BAMM.org

Look on the left hand side for the "Watch the IMPACT video." That's a pretty darn good representation of what we learn in class (except for the dopey bunny-hopping at the end...grrr).

Like anything else, it has its strengths and weaknesses. But I loved it and found my confidence shot straight UP after taking this particular course. I'm not saying ongoing training in Krav or something similar isn't a good idea ~ it is. But IMPACT gives women a little something extra in that it's 100% contact, and the assaults are realistic enough to shake you up. 2 weekends of IMPACT did more for me than 3 months of Krav.

Again, I'm not saying it's superior to any other form of self defense. It's just another helpful tool out of the toolbox. :-) If you have any questions or would like some details, feel free to ask!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:
The way drills are taught is more important than how nice the school looks.

Aggression is more important than skill.

Principles are more important than techniques.

The teacher is more important than the style.

Full contact is better than limited contact.