CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Matt McCollum

Profile:
This is by no means orginal - in fact it was inspired by an article in CFJ. Just my attempt to give back to the CF community.

So there I was was...on the Kool-Aid for about 2 1/2 months and on vacation at Disney World. A "fitness" room hardly worthy of the name, not even a horizontal tree branch in sight (lots of palm trees though). Inspired by that CF article, I came up with my own version of CF Golf.

Did this on holes 10-18 of the Shades of Green Golf Course. Randomly chose 10 BW exercises and assigned to a hole. One work out: Hole 10: Burpees, 11 - Pistols (were really ugly), 12- Jumping Jacks, 13 - Mountain Climbers, 14 - Flutter kicks, 15 - HSPU (love the funny looks I got), 16 - sit-ups, 17 - long jumps, 18 - Push ups, "19th Hole" - squats.

Start: Do exercise for reps based on yardage for example 432 yards = 4+3+2 = 9 reps. Run between tee boxes (I originally planned sprint, but quickly gassed). Do next exercise at next tee box. Finished with 19 reps for the 19th Hole.

As Rx'd above, 32:08. It's a fair amount of running, in this case about 2.7 miles. Mixed it up for the week; depending on how the exercises panned out, sometimes a little lower, sometimes a little higher.

Again, just my $0.02 trying to give back to this great community.

PS - Don't write the exercises on the palm of your hand...quickly sweated it off!
Old 03-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

I presume you outran Security?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Workout of the Day.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Matt, add actually playing the round of Golf and it becomes a skill under duress challenge as well. Of course this would lengthen the workout extraordinally and lower the met-con componant.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Matt McCollum

Profile:
David - Running on the cart path, so the security issue thankfully didn't come up.

Roger - When we were kids, my brother and I would sometimes play "speed golf" on the course near our house. One club - shortest time and lowest shots. Hit the ball and then run to the next shot. I think I remember a mid iron working best for us- capable of a fairly long shot, able to pitch/chip with it, and possible to putt with it. A lot of fun and a good workout, but probably only possible on a low-key public course when no one else is on the course.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Rob Flowers

Profile:
Speed Golf is a great way to utilize the course in the winter months. If you can find a cool greens keeper, he or she might just let you out without cost. I've done it before, and just giving myself a plus 2 once my ball got on the green. That helped keep the pace up and fulfilled the course's desire to keep traffic on the greens to a minimum.

In hindsight, it would be an excellent adaptive exercise to try to putt with a seven iron with a racing pulse. Sort of like squeezing off rifle shots in the Nordic Combined.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Matt McCollum

Profile:
Rob - I'm a southern boy, but yeah. It was kinda like the old basketball drill of shooting free throws after suicides....hard to stay steady with the heart racing.