CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #41
Bill Patton

Profile:
Re: Official WordPress users thread.

i'm a wordpress rookied - but i've been trying to get logsitall compatible with wordpress - this was the concept:

logsitall users can pull up any ranking they want (angie women age 20-30 for instance) and then 'save' this ranking.

under the profile panel there is a link to 'saved rankings' - on this saved rankings page is the code to paste in a widget that shows a drop down menu of all your saved rankings.

this lets you put your favorite rankings right into your own website in wordpress (in theory).

You can also filter the rankings to show only members of your own gym.

If anyone is interested in trying this out, please pm/email or post and i'll try to provide more detail.

-bp
wkpatton@aol.com

ps - this is the code to pop in the widget that automatically shows the ranking of the day from this page: www.logsitall.com/about_crossfitranking.asp

widget code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/481e5c1696cb541a/481fb57329679184/481e5c1696cb541a/8ac86e74/user/2/widget.js"></script>
Old 08-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #42
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
Didn't want to put this on a seperate thread, but here's a problem I'm currently having with my Wordpress Blog (www.potomaccrossfit.com).

For the last few weeks, about 80% of the time when I'm posting/editing a blog post or a page, I'll hit "Publish" or "Save" and get a "Server too busy" error. Sooner or later it will take, but like today I had to refresh, rewrite, and hit save 12 times before it just added one line to a page.

I'm also seeing that it has several Autosaves for pages and Drafts for posts along the way.

Is this Wordpress or could it be my host?
As per Matt's advice that this is a hosting issue, I called GoDaddy.com (my host) and asked them to help me troubleshoot this. They said that because I had not installed Wordpress through them, that I would have to backup my site, re-install Wordpress through them, then re-upload my site into their version of Wordpress. The rub being that the tech support guy said there was no guaranty that my backedup version of my site would re-upload because there are differences in the software.

I'm doing this all from zero knowledge of hosting or Wordpress, I started from scratch when I got started. Can anybody help a brother out? I'm dying having to post 3-4 times everytime I want to post something with still no guarantee that it will take. Now I'm getting told I may have to start the site from scratch?

Any and all assistance will be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #43
Brian Wilson

Profile:

OK, I'm all set with my issue. Thanks to Zeke Martinez (Crossfit Coastal), Lis Darsh (Crossfit Watertown), and Maiko (Crossfit DC) for the calls/emails.

The issue is GoDaddy.com. Zeke was having the same issue and just switched to ASmallOrange.com for hosting and the issues cleared up. I'm swapping my hosting to them right now.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #44
Matt Munson

Profile:

Brian,
Sounds like you are on the right track. If you haven't already transferred your hosting service somewhere else, check out Bluehost.com. I recommend them over any other hosting service. I've worked with them for over 2 years and can't be happier.

On backing up your WordPress site and then reuploading, WordPress has a really great way to do this:

Log into your WordPress site and within the Dashboard, go to Manage/Export. Export your entire site to your computer.

Once your new installation is complete, go to Manage/Import within the Dashboard and upload.

A friend of mine had to do this and it worked great.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Matt
Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #45
Sean White

Profile:

Hi,
Just a general post question about wordpress. I am playing with it in preparation for affiliation. Although I am not computer savvy I am trying to learn. I have already received help from Matt, which I must say was really fast and worked right away, Much appreciated. Anyway, this time I am posting as this is more general.
Is there a way to change the automatic left-justified type and picture placement in posts as well as page writing?
Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #46
Sean White

Profile:

Ummm, also I was wondering if there was an easy way, (I am thinking HTML in a text widget?) to add pictures which can also be links in the sidebar. I have added one with an "image widget", but I can't seem to add more than one image widget.

Any advice would be greatly helpful, thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #47
Matt Munson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean White View Post
Hi,
Just a general post question about wordpress. I am playing with it in preparation for affiliation. Although I am not computer savvy I am trying to learn. I have already received help from Matt, which I must say was really fast and worked right away, Much appreciated. Anyway, this time I am posting as this is more general.
Is there a way to change the automatic left-justified type and picture placement in posts as well as page writing?
Sean,
When you are writing a post, make sure you are writing with visual editor turned on (under Users - Your Profile). The visual editor gives you much control over the posts look, including text and image justification.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #48
Matt Munson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean White View Post
Ummm, also I was wondering if there was an easy way, (I am thinking HTML in a text widget?) to add pictures which can also be links in the sidebar. I have added one with an "image widget", but I can't seem to add more than one image widget.

Any advice would be greatly helpful, thanks
When you write a link (Blogroll - Add Link .. in the version of Wordpress you are using) you can include an image for the link (under the advanced bar - scroll down when you are writing the link).
Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #49
Sean White

Profile:

Thanks again, Matt
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #50
Sean White

Profile:

Hi,
I may just be missing something but when I turn on the visual editor I have less options, not more. There are no buttons at all. I also downloaded and activated WP Super Edit hoping it would add some versatility but there are still no buttons. Please let me know what it is I need to change.

Thanks.