CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #31
Matt Munson

Profile:
Re: Official WordPress users thread.

It might have something to do with what screen resolution the different computers are set at..or what internet browsers the site is being viewed through.

For table creation, I added a button to the WYSIWYG post editor from this WordPress plugin:

http://www.laptoptips.ca/projects/tinymce-advanced/ (wfs).

Downloadable here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tinymce-advanced/

The plugin in gives your editor many, many more options including inserting tables into your posts without having to copy in html.

Matt
Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #32
Kim Betts

Profile:
Red face Re: Official WordPress users thread.

You guys are sharing great info...if only I understood it! I am trying to help my husband out with getting something set up. Are you guys using wordpress.com or wordpress.org? Is there a difference? Any suggestions on step by step start up on this? I am so tempted to have someone get the whole site up and going for us...this is just overwhelming! Thanks for your help!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 PM   #33
Jeff Chalfant

Profile:

I am using wordpress right now for my site. My friend set it up for me but I don't know how to do anything but post. It sure would be nice to edit my theme just a bit but I don't know where to begin. Is there a very basic explanation of this stuff for me?

I appreciate all the willingness to help, you guys are AWESOME! But...
css, php, plugin, widget=I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I know that's not your fault but can someone please steer me straight?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #34
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie Lindbeck View Post
Kris,
thank you for that, although i really dont understand!?!?!?
I tried both suggestions and neither seemed to work on 2 other computers, but looks fine on a different 2 computers (mine included), that cant be normal? The new text you posted, looks better (on my computer anyway) making the table more even and spread out.

Kylie, the differences you are seeing on the computers may be in the internet browsers you are using on each. Sometimes the different versions of say Internet Explorer see things a bit differently.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #35
Kylie Lindbeck

Profile:

Ok Matt,
So ive downloaded the tinymce advanced... im having an absolute shocker and cant figure out how to upload it. I feel embarrased for asking!!!

Thanks Kris, it just seemed strange, i thought i was doing something wrong.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #36
Matt Munson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie Lindbeck View Post
Ok Matt,
So ive downloaded the tinymce advanced... im having an absolute shocker and cant figure out how to upload it. I feel embarrased for asking!!!

Thanks Kris, it just seemed strange, i thought i was doing something wrong.
Now that you've downloaded it, you need to unzip the file and upload the unzipped file into the plugins directory of your wordpress installation on your server.

Then go to the plugins tab within your wordpress dashboard and activate the plugin.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/.../installation/ (wfs).

Don't be embarrased. I've been using Wordpress for 2 years and its all normal to me now but it took a bit to learn.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #37
Matt Munson

Profile:

Kim and Jeff,

With wordpress.com, you sign up for an account and a blog, both are which are free. But, that gives you a site like www.yoursite.wordpress.com or something like that.

With WordPress (.org) you install the wordpress blog site on your server in your domains directory so it resides in yoursite.com. Just about every good hosting company out there has auto-install functions for many many types of programs (blogs, forums, shopping carts) for free.

Personally, I prefer bluehost.com for hosting companies, but any good one will have the above.

With a wordpress.com account and blog you will be very limited in how much customization you will be able to do.

With a wordpress (.org) installation, you have a supply of endless themes (how the site looks) and plugins (add in applications that give your site more functions and features).

Some good WordPress documentation:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page (wfs)

WordPress Themes directory (you can also google 'wordpress themes' and find many more on the net):

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ (wfs)

WordPress plugins directory:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

If any of you need in depth help with WordPress, feel free to send me a pm and I'll do whatever I can to help you out.

Also, if any of you are interested, I'll share the list of plugins that I use that I think are essential for any wordpress site (and included in any wordpress site I build).

Matt
Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #38
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Didn't want to put this on a seperate thread, but here's a problem I'm currently having with my Wordpress Blog (www.potomaccrossfit.com).

For the last few weeks, about 80% of the time when I'm posting/editing a blog post or a page, I'll hit "Publish" or "Save" and get a "Server too busy" error. Sooner or later it will take, but like today I had to refresh, rewrite, and hit save 12 times before it just added one line to a page.

I'm also seeing that it has several Autosaves for pages and Drafts for posts along the way.

Is this Wordpress or could it be my host?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #39
Matt Munson

Profile:

Brian,
That is a host issue.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #40
Kylie Lindbeck

Profile:

HI Matt,
That plugin and table feature worked!!!
I will have a play around and try to improve on it in the next few days... hopefully.
Thank you again for your help, no doubt there will be other questions down the track.