CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Charlie Karnick

Profile:
dropping the fat after SS

Hey, anyone who has done SS about how long did it take you to drop the extra fat after getting back to CF? (please include how long you were on SS for, what your diet looked like, and what your CF schedule was.) Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:
Re: dropping the fat after SS

What extra fat?

I started SS at the beginning of Sept and finished right before Thanksgiving. I was eating about 90% paleo and getting between 1600-2000 calories a day. I did SS every tuesday and thursday. Monday was a rest day, Wed I had yoga for 2 hours and I climbed 2 out of the 3 day's Friday-Sun and usually tried for a long, slow cardio day, but wasn't always successful.

I also did not do the gallon of whole milk a day, though I did increase the dairy in my diet to include cottage cheese, yogurt and 1-2 glasses of milk a day.

However when I finished I had actually LOST body fat, gained noticeable amounts of muscle and only lost 2-3 lbs since then in body fat.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

well you obviously were not doing SS a rx'd (which is fine if it worked for you)
I, on the other hand, am eating about 5,000 calories per day doing GOMAD and SS 3 times a week. I've gained about 15 pounds in a month and I can clearly see some of it is fat but I've also been PR'ing like crazy so I know I've gained muscle too. I won't be getting off SS for a while but I know when I get back to CF those first few WOD's are gonna be brutal.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I picked up a little body fat during SS, but I only did a QOMAD. Soon afterwards, I cut out grains (I was eating everything but pastry and candy during SS), and I dropped 10 pounds to my original weight, but with much more muscle in less than a month. I was still lifting heavy, just not at the volume of SS, as I was adding two metcons a week. If you want to shed the fat, change the diet, not the workout. FWIW, when I'm lifting heavy, I consider a little belly fat to be future muscle.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

I agree, Rayna if you werent drinking the milk you werent doing the whole program. If you drank the milk you would have gotten more strength gains at the expense of some extra chubbers.. Rip himself has said if your not drinking the milk your not doing the program. As a matter of fact ive seen him get on people for drinking 2% milk, hah.

Regardless to answer the op's question. How much fat are we talking? and what are your stats?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
I agree, Rayna if you werent drinking the milk you werent doing the whole program. If you drank the milk you would have gotten more strength gains at the expense of some extra chubbers.. Rip himself has said if your not drinking the milk your not doing the program. As a matter of fact ive seen him get on people for drinking 2% milk, hah.

Regardless to answer the op's question. How much fat are we talking? and what are your stats?
Also he said doing any metcons would hinder strength gains (obviously). But anyways to answer Gabriel: 6'2 205 (after SS for a month) 21yrs old. I'm not really sure how much fat, I don't really feel fatter as much as just bigger if that makes any sense. I guess I wont know til the end. I'd say my bf% was probably around 12% when I started tho.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

What page of the book requires GOMAD for everyone who follows the program? Sigh.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
What page of the book requires GOMAD for everyone who follows the program? Sigh.
I'm not saying it's required. If you ask Rip (on ************.com) I guarantee he would tell you the fastest way to gain strength would be to do the GOMAD and get as much rest as possible on your off days. You can obviously do it without GOMAD but you aren't going to get the best results possible, which might be ok for people depending on your goals.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Nowhere in the book, MANY places on his forums. The program is still awesome if your not drinking the milk. But the caloric surplus is part of the program. I suppose unless your already large and dont need to put on mass to gain strength.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I think it's important to note that SS "as prescribed," therefore, does not require GOMAD, as is so often incorrectly stated on this board. I agree with what you're saying (and am quite familiar with ************) but feel that too many people on here think GOMAD is required. It is not, but it can be a great tool - especially for classic hardgainers and teens.

FWIW, to answer your original question, my first go-round of SS over a year ago (no GOMAD, just basic clean eating) took my bodyweight from about 250 to 255. My squats went from 3x5 w/ 225 to 3x5 w/ 385. DL similar. Bench from 3x5 w/ 185 to 235. I lost fat and gained muscle during that time. I then had several months of inactivity due to surgery and shot up to 270. Running got me to 260, strict CF afterwards reduced BW back to 250...as well as quickly reducing squat strength.

But the bottom line is, as always, diet. The SS wiki is fairly decent in talking about this. http://****************.wikia.com/wi...nts_and_Cardio (WFS)