CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Daniel Pope

Profile:
Achilles Tendonopathy / Achilles Tendon Rupture

Hey Guys,

I've noticed that achilles tendon problems are big in crossfit. I recently did a podcast about the topic with my friend Rob who's a physical therapist and a friend Pat, who's a crossfit trainer and ruptured his achilles previously. We discuss the problem, rehabilitation and subsequent injury prevention strategies.

You can catch the podcast here: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=432

I wanted to get your thoughts on why you think these are occuring so frequently and how we can go about preventing them from happening in the first place?

Let me know and thanks guys,
Dan
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Achilles Tendonopathy / Achilles Tendon Rupture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Pope View Post
Hey Guys,

I've noticed that achilles tendon problems are big in crossfit. I recently did a podcast about the topic with my friend Rob who's a physical therapist and a friend Pat, who's a crossfit trainer and ruptured his achilles previously. We discuss the problem, rehabilitation and subsequent injury prevention strategies.

You can catch the podcast here: http://fitnesspainfree.com/?p=432

I wanted to get your thoughts on why you think these are occuring so frequently and how we can go about preventing them from happening in the first place?

Let me know and thanks guys,
Dan
lots of sudden eccentric contractions in 35 to 50 yo tendons. Unfortunately most ruptures I see occur without any preceding signs of tendonitis or heel pain.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
lots of sudden eccentric contractions in 35 to 50 yo tendons. Unfortunately most ruptures I see occur without any preceding signs of tendonitis or heel pain.
Thanks for the response Sean! I guess as trainers we need to be very conscious of what we're doing (acceleration/deceleration activities of the lower body) in this population.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

GREAT post. It just so happens that I pulled my left Achilles tendon about a week and a half ago. I'm self aware enough to not push through ridiculous pain, and it's already getting better...but having had 8 surgeries now, the LAST thing I plan on doing is being stupid about injury prevention.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Very Cool Matt! Are some of those 8 surgeries something that has to do with your achilles?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Carolyn McKinnon

Profile:

I ruptured my achilles tendon in December doing CrossFit, and I'm pretty worried about being able to return to what I love doing, which has always been explosive exercise. I was a competitive sprinter for 8 years and have also always enjoyed plyometrics, weight-lifting, basically anything related to maximum effort/intensity, short time.

I had been doing CrossFit for 5 months (roughly 2/3 times per week) when it happened. I'm only 28 so I know I can't risk a re-rupture because that would probably rule me out, not only of explosive exercise, but also many other types of exercise. Therefore, I'm really worried about being able to CrossFit again, which I totally LOVED the 5 months I was doing it. This worry is exacerbated by the fact that I had never even had an achilles niggle in my life, it happened completely out of the blue, so I don't think I could even anticipate it happening again and lay off or anything
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Ted Toal

Profile:

I know rebounding box jumps are a big culprit but I sprained/strained mine doing high-rep double unders. Took ten weeks to fully heal. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Mike Pratt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Toal View Post
I know rebounding box jumps are a big culprit but I sprained/strained mine doing high-rep double unders. Took ten weeks to fully heal. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this?
I ruptured mine doing rebounding box jumps. But had been practicing my double unders in the days leading up to the injury. I am 29 yrs old.

My doctor told me the tendon shredded and looked like 2 mop ends.

The injury was 7 weeks ago. Op was 6 weeks ago. Im recovering well, but it;s a painfully slow process. Have continued crossfit in the boot 4 days a week and I can do most things, but it makes me sad to watch other people deadlift and squat.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Ted Toal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pratt View Post
I ruptured mine doing rebounding box jumps. But had been practicing my double unders in the days leading up to the injury. I am 29 yrs old.

The injury was 7 weeks ago. Op was 6 weeks ago. Im recovering well, but it;s a painfully slow process. Have continued crossfit in the boot 4 days a week and I can do most things, but it makes me sad to watch other people deadlift and squat.
Ouch! I do wish you a speedy recovery. I know it can be very frustrating recovering from injury and being limited in what you can do.

I'm 43 and have pretty much stopped rebounding box jumps. It really slows my time down in WODs with box jumps but I'm OK with that. Anytime I feel a twinge doing double-unders I immediately stop. I've become overly sensitive since the sprain/strain.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Carolyn McKinnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pratt View Post

I didn't rupture mine doing box jump rebounds or double-unders, but I had been doing both of these exercises leading up the day it happened. I was also told by the surgeon that it was pretty frayed, which I find bizarre since I had never had any problems. Had you had previous achilles issues?

I'm 8 weeks post-op and have just started physio 4 days/week, I'm only just starting to walk on the parallel bars and almost am at 0ļ flexion, it feels like full recovery is a looong way away.