CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I'm getting a little frustrated with my Deadlift. My squat keeps advancing nicely, but my DL has been stuck at 360 for some time now. I can see three things that might be holding me back - my form, my grip strength, and my mind. It may be a combination of these - it feels almost like I'm afraid to go past that number.

Can anyone recommend resources to address these three possible limits?

Thanks!

--Paul
Old 01-28-2005, 04:10 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Form: CrossFit Journal
Grip strength: Ironmind
Mind: Randall Strossen's sports psyc. books

I find with deadlifts it's best to be "angry" when you approach heavy lifts. Psych up!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

I got my 2nd last PR on DL when I was particularly angry about something. I went down to the shed (my home gym) and took it out on the iron.

The weight went up easy and I felt like I could do much more, but I held myself back (had already gone 5kg over previous PR and was at the end of a 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 workout). That weight has never felt that easy again, so perhaps I need a way to "bring on" the anger when I need it too.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

You could try reading "Zeb's" negative comments about CF on T-mag! :wink:
Old 01-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
Paul,
Are you varying your poundage? I have used Pavel's PTP workout for DL's a good bit, and a "wave" cycle works best for me. If my current 5 rep max (5rm) for DL was 360, I would lift the following poundages, working out 5 days per week (mtwthsat)
m-290/5, 260/5
t-300/5, 270/5
w-310/5, 280/5
th-320/5, 290/5
sat-330/5, 300/5
The next monday would begin again at 300/5, 270/5, and would continue as the week before.
If I was truly burned out, I might even begin week at a lower starting point, say, 270/5, 240/5.
Basically, I'm suggesting that you start deadlifting with lower weights, increase your weight each workout, but every few sessions lower your poundage again. Its a 5 step forwards then 4 steps back kind of thing.
No one can operate at their maximum all the time. In order to increase your strength, you must vary the load. This is especially true of the DL, which puts tremendous strain on the CNS.
Good luck, and read PTP (or re-read it) for a better explantion than mine.
David
Old 01-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
John Walsh

Profile:
Paul,

Take 365 and pull it off various pin levels in a rack. This will help your grip and your confidence with a higher weight. Sometimes it helps just to get a feel for the higher weight. What kind of grip do you use? I know my grip gives out pretty quick with a hook grip. Get someone to critique your form.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
David Easton

Profile:
I have always been stuck at 180kg on my deadlift but I got my personal best deadlift this week - 185kg. I think the reason I got it was that I didn't think about it too much, I just got myself ready and attacked the bar. I actually got two P.B's on the same day - 182.5kg then the 185kg. Once I started thinking about it too much, the little voice in my head that was saying things like" Thats a lot of weight!" and " Are you sure that you can lift that?" started to get louder, I didn't make another lift.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I think of max deadlifts like street fights. You never give in. You never show weakness, and you keep at it, come hell or high water, until you win.

When I'm really going at it, there's a split second where I'm on a planet all my own.

Actually, I spend a lot of time on other planets, just not that specific one.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
Paul,
forgot to mention that using the method I've advised you to use, I have smashed old records easily. I started one cycle with a 5rm pr of 300lbs. I ended the cycle (12 or 16 weeks) with a 5rm of 340lbs. This was a couple years ago. I plan to start a new cycle soon using the same method. Just wanted you to know I've practiced what I've preached.
Good luck.
D
Old 01-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
Gary John

Profile:

Steve Shafley wrote an artice in the June 2004 "GetUP" which shows an old Westside routine. You start with 15 reps and go from there. I was terrified of doing deadlifts, so I started with this program. Works great and went through a couple of cycles. You need to take one minute between lifts. I did it once a week. Met Pavel down in Vegas in October and switched to the every day "grease the grove". Ended up doing sets of triples at 310 twice a day. One cold morning I felt something go and had to drop the weight. Dropped down to 240 and felt fine. Now, I'm doing 5x5 with 1 minute between sets, three days a week. When I get all 25, I bumped it up ten pounds for the next workout. I'm 56 and weight 175. I'm shooting for anything over 400.