CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-19-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
Adam Levenson

Profile:
During long sessions of BJJ, I hit a wall and get the shakes. I am talking 2 hours of drilling and sparring here. Is there somethings I could put together to sip on during training to keep my energy levels up?

I'd prefer to avoid the gatoraids and poweraids, something made from whole foods would be great. Easily available at a health food store, costco, or traders.

Thanks

Adam
Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Jason Fryer

Profile:
I would try blending together some whey protein, honey, ice, water, and a touch of coconut milk. This will give you the quick energy from the honey, some slower carbs and some healthy fats in the coconut milk and some protein to help keep your muscles stocked and good to go. You could also throw a banana in there if you feel you need more carbs/sugars.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
water mixed in a ratio or about 2:1 with a fresh juice of your choice with a little salt added. Steep a few green teabags in the water first for a mild caffeine kick. maybe add a little unflavoured whey as well.

Bananas are good for a quick energy but as are dry fruit but the latter can cause GI distress.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Adam Levenson

Profile:
Thanks for the paleo gatorade :-) Another question, training for this duration and intensity, should I be burning out and hitting the blood sugar wall? Or should I be able to continue to train through it? Is it an adaption thing that I will get use to or is it simply a fact of life when training hard that I need to refuel during the exercise?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Kevin ONeall

Profile:
At low heart rates the body is burning mostly fat. At high heart rates the body is burning mostly sugar. Training shifts the equation towards fat burning. I mean you begin to be able to burn fat at higher heart rates. But you never get to the point of burning just fat. Even if you eat a ketogenic diet, the body makes glucose via gluconeogenesis.

For the Zone diet, it's all about controlling insulin. But when you're exercising at extreme heart rates the body still needs sugar. IF you're not giving it enough it makes its own by catabolizing proteins. So it's best to have sugar on hand to ensure you don't hit the blood sugar wall. It all gets used up by the exercise. I prefer Hammergel as a fast energy source.