CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Dan Colson

Profile:
Can anyone clear up a debate, I think knees to elbows should be done hanging with nothing below you to stop you from swinging since thats the stomachs job. I have seen people tap a box etc each rep to control the swing, is that a foul or should you remain suspended?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Personally I think you're right, there shouldn't be anything under you to help you keep from swinging. Just my personal preference.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Matt Early

Profile:
I am relatively new to Crossfit and I was going to attempt yesterdays wo today, but I was not sure how to do Knees to Elbows. After reading this thread I think its done from a pull up bar and I try to touch my knees to my elbows is that how it is done? Also, walking lunges do I hold dumbells, use a barbell or no weight? Thanks, Matt
Old 03-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Dan Colson

Profile:
Knees to elbowshang from a pull-up bar and raise knees to touch the elbows, these can be modified by simply bringing the knees as high as you can. As a rule in CF unless weight is indicated you use your bodyweight. Check out the exercises link on the homepage.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
Matt,

Correct on the KTEs: touch your knee to your elbow (make sure you're not touching it to your upper arm, which is what happens as form starts to break down) while keeping your arm straight (elbow unbent).

For the walking lunges, don't use weight. Make sure the knee of the trail leg kisses the ground and get a nice long stride.

Mike

Old 03-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Dan Colson

Profile:
Hey Mike, whats your thought on my original question of hanging vs tapping to prevent swing?
Old 03-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Dan: if I had to choose, I'd say "tap and control the swing" . . . that makes it a (little) bit more of a "strength" drill. Swinging would have its own benefits on teaching a certain sort of whole body coordination.

All in all, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the choice. When you're doing 50 in a row, I don't think it matters much. It's going to be bear either way.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
Dan,

My apologies for skipping right over your question. I read Josh's post in my email inbox and jumped right to the thread without reading your initial query.

In its ideal state, yes, the KTEs should be done without anything to tap against, in my opinion. However, what will happen with newbies (and others who may not know any better or who are trying to go as fast as possible) is that they'll swing past the stopping point (vertical body position: arms, shoulders, hips, and legs all directly under the bar) and on the return they'll get some momentum going that they then use to assist with the tuck on the way up to touching the knees to elbows.

The box is used to bring them to a complete stand-still before initiating the move back upward, not so much to get them to stop on the way down. If the box is properly positioned, it also ensures a full ROM; i.e., they have to be completely vertical as they tap the box. The box should in no way be used to kill the momentum (you'd actually set the box just behind the athlete when he's in the vertical position; you'd want his heels to just barely kiss the box in that position).

I've seen gymnasts train this skill by having one person performing the exercise and another spotting the athlete at his back. He'll apply just enough pressure with his hands to the athlete's lower back to kill the backward momentum at the bottom of the rep, if there is any. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

But as Dave says, it probably doesn't matter that much. As long as you get them to start at a fully vertical stand-still before initiating the movement, it's good.

Mike

Old 03-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
John Messano

Profile:
I like using the momentum from my downward swing in K-t-Es. Isn't it the same argument as kipping v. deadhang pullups?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
Dan Colson

Profile:
I guess my only thought was the stomach does a lot more work to control the descent to a dead hang, I agree though, that when you can get a kip going, that is even greater stomach control. I would think kipping kE would even be a greater skill exercise. I guess what I'm trying to describe is when there isn't much control on the descent it becomes a swing not a kip and my thought is maybe starting out trying to control the descent in a set, then moving to taps until someone can get to a kipping kE. I hope this makes sense.