CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2003, 11:40 PM   #1
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
I was just reading "The Way to Live" by George Hackenschmidt and came across this paragraph.
"For it is only by exercising with heavy weights that any man can hope to develop really great strength. He should of course combine these exercises with skipping, running, jumping, and gymnastics of every description in order to similarly develop his activity and agility, but, unless he sedulously carries out the barbell and dumbell exercises as well, he can never acquire really great physical powers."
George Hackenschmidt

Sounds kind of like Crossfit 1935 style. Thought you all might appreciate it.
Kurtis
Old 06-21-2003, 05:32 AM   #2
ROB DAVIS

Profile:  
I agree. Hack was the man.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
That actually sounds as close to Crossfit as ANYTHING I have encountered. Cool Stuff!!
Robb
Old 06-23-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The only thing I must comment on is this is very true IF the terms barbell and dumbell are taken very loosely. I know a lot of truly strong and fit individuals who have virtually never touched a dumbell or barbell. Leg weights, medicine balls and other people to overload on conditioning, sure, but why does one need a "dumbell"?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roger-

I think DB's offer value in that they require more stabilizers than BB and most of these old timers were seriously into 1-arm training (snatch, clean etc.) I think even the best vaulters and jumpes are not going to be able to generate the power that a hack OL can muster (Talking mainly hip extension here).

Robb
Old 06-27-2003, 06:47 PM   #6
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
as the french say "plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."
Old 06-30-2003, 07:15 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
My point was not that one does not need a DB vs a BB. My point that one does not need either. Dramatic functionaly strength can be developed with many other methods of overloading. I just wanted to point out that the key to the initial post is that overloading is greatly benificial. The quote itself could be misleading to those who read this literally and don't look at it functionally.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #8
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
I just thought it sounded pretty darn close to Crossfit. Didn't mean it as words to live or die by. I do however think that it is easier to progressively overload with barbells and dumbells. By that I mean it is easier to add 5-10lbs to a barbell or dumbell than it is to find a rock, log, or person 5-10lbs heavier every week for a year. You have to progessively overload to get stronger. That said, I think there is great benefit to using rocks, logs, other people, and medecine balls. I just think it is best to mix the two rather than use one exclusively. Just my opinion.
Kurtis
Old 06-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Fully agreed. In my sport (gymnastics) I constantly have to caution folks on the use of weights. Newish gymnasts, especially male, ask all the time if they should be "lifting weights" to help build strength. Typically my answer to this is no, because they are thinking weight lifting in a 24hr fitness or some such like that. Building unnecessary bulk is a very bad thing for gymnastics. Rather, I recommend doing the gymnastics specific exercises with additional resistance. Because of positions necessary and so forth DBs and BBs typically won't work. Ya need something that can be strapped on.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #10
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Yeah, I could see how a BB or DB wouldn't work that well for gymnastic specific exercises.